Football question

L

longdogs

Ok, so I admit I am no real football fan anymore but I have enjoyed watching some of the recent World cup games on tv. One thing really 'bugs' me though, particularly in the Holland v Argentina game and I have noticed that England do the same thing all the time;

Why do teams spend half their time passing the ball backwards?

Surely the idea is to get the ball in the oppositions half as much as possible. At the end of most matches, the losing side normally spends the last five minutes trying really hard to score. Sometimes this pays off, sometimes not. So why don't they try really hard throughout instead of knocking the ball left, right, back, left, right back.......? Its so boring to watch and a complete waste of time for the losing team. If you are winning, then I can understand it.

I'm hoping that someone on here that plays, might be able to answer the question.

Sponsored Links
Fear of losing? if we have the ball the others can't score,Dirk kuyt was one of the main culprits,he must get a nose bleed if he crosses the half way line.
I think I'm right in saying neither Robben or Van Persie scored a goal once out of the group stages,not exactly an attacking force,Van Gaal is the new manager of M Utd,not much hope for them this season.

As a Sunderland supporter i happen to be an expert on watching the sideways/backwards game. The idea is to draw the opposition towards you (bit like killdeer bird faking a broken wing) and then hit them on the break, obviously it doesn't work very often in our case. In fact i think we would score more goals if we signed a few killdeer.

A bit of what Gigz says, plus the opposition are very unlikely to score without the ball.

Also, if you have ever played football, you will appreciate the next bit.
Presuming you are defending.........the opposition keep the ball, going back if no opening, coming forward again, looking for you or your teammates to lose concentration, to break formation. Unless you are incredibly lucky or well-drilled, you'll crack eventually.

Sponsored Links
Football followers are dumb. Especially the ones who think someone is female because they don't watch the spectacle. Haven't seen any of the WC so far.
Is it over yet?
I've heard of an off side rule? Whats that load of nonsense all about? Not that I care.

And the actual footballers are big soft nannies when they get hurt.
Would rather watch varnish dry.

Just look at brazil if you want confirmation. Milions starving and yet they can spend billions on a stoopid football stadium.
Never mind eh? They can always clear a few more million acre chunks of dwindling rain forest to pay for it all. And a few more on top of they because they got trashed.
I expect these "real men" are bawling their eyes out now.
But not a single tear will be shed for the starving and the poor.
Yeah its a real mans game alright, running up and down a field after a bag of air. :LOL:

Say nose.. if you meet squeaky down the pub would you still be asking him about his "androgenous name" on diynot if he is an 18st rugby player? :mrgreen:
I doubt it. First you'd have to get the dictionary out to explain what "androgenous" means and then you'd have the dictionary shoved into your big gob. :LOL:

Football followers are dumb. Especially the ones who think someone is female because they don't watch the spectacle. Haven't seen any of the WC so far.
Is it over yet?
I've heard of an off side rule? Whats that load of nonsense all about? Not that I care.

And the actual footballers are big soft nannies when they get hurt.
Would rather watch varnish dry.

Just look at brazil if you want confirmation. Milions starving and yet they can spend billions on a stoopid football stadium.
Never mind eh? They can always clear a few more million acre chunks of dwindling rain forest to pay for it all. And a few more on top of they because they got trashed.
I expect these "real men" are bawling their eyes out now.
But not a single tear will be shed for the starving and the poor.
Yeah its a real mans game alright, running up and down a field after a bag of air. :LOL:

Say nose.. if you meet squeaky down the pub would you still be asking him about his "androgenous name" on diynot if he is an 18st rugby player? :mrgreen:
I doubt it. First you'd have to get the dictionary out to explain what "androgenous" means and then you'd have the dictionary shoved into your big gob. :LOL:

Its ok, Nose nowt thinks he is on a dating site :LOL:

It just seems to me, a team like England spend the last five minutes of the game looking like they might score but never do because they run out of time, so why not put all that effort in earlier on and then p*nce about kicking it backwards?

Sponsored Links
Back