Four Days To Go Until MS Drop Support For Office 2003 And XP

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Although I've moved on to Office 2007 (which will no doubt be next) and W7, there must be many people who are still using 2003 and XP simply because they see no advantage in purchasing the more recent software. Certainly, having heard the reviews rubbishing Vista, many must have decided to keep XP rather than 'downgrade' to Vista.

Another factor is that people often have third-party software that will not work with newer versions of Windows. My first wife has just found out that a voice recorder she bought to use with XP will not work with that other disaster, W8. She has just e-mailed the manufacturers of the recorder to ask if they have updated software. (Compatibility mode didn't help.)

I see it as a form of blackmail to force people into 'upgrading' and, in so doing, contributing to Microsoft's coffers.

Can't see a problem with the support ending,I'm using a oldish lappy running Vista,have switched off any updates a long time a go and it runs fine.just checked there are 97 important updates to install,yeh right.

Sponsored Links
Apparently, it's going to be "open season" for the malware writers, hackers etc when the support ends.... (mind you they reckoned planes were going to drop out of the sky at midnight on the 1st January 2000,,, and they just kept on flying) ;) ;) ;)

(mind you they reckoned planes were going to drop out of the sky at midnight on the 1st January 2000,,, and they just kept on flying) ;) ;) ;)

You might well have the reason for the Malaysian plane disappearing. ;)

Wonder if this removal of support has anything to do with the likely increase of support requirements for the newish subscription tablet versions of Office? :idea:

Another factor is that people often have third-party software that will not work with newer versions of Windows.
For once, I agree with you JBR, and it's not limited to software. I've had a HP Laserjet 1000 pinter for over ten years, and it was second-hand when I inherited it (ex-works).
It's perfomed faultlessly over all those years (with only one new toner cartridge) but there are no drivers available after Windows XP. Although I still have one XP pc, it itself is getting too long in the tooth. So sadly, the printer is now off to the dechetterie despite being a working machine.

you have to remember that both hardware and commerical software are a mere commodity (and at an ever decreasing price) The only valuabe thing on your device is your data.

simply look at the value of 2nd hand electronics, after a very short while they are worthless recycling.

So sadly, the printer is now off to the dechetterie despite being a working machine.

If it still works, offer it on your local Freegle group saying its XP only - there will likely be someone that still uses XP with an offline PC etc that will want to reuse it.

Myself I think the hype is just hype - I will still be supporting the software I support when used on XP, its only when I cannot replicate a problem on Vista+ that I will be able to tell someone to upgrade.

So sadly, the printer is now off to the dechetterie despite being a working machine.

If it still works, offer it on your local Freegle group saying its XP only - there will likely be someone that still uses XP with an offline PC etc that will want to reuse it.
I would do, matty, but I suspect that the "collection only" will deter potential beneficiaries.

Sponsored Links
Back