DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

HS2 Bidding for 32b worth of work

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General Discussion
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bodgeitandleggit

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 1500
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote

I knew that as soon as this was announced the bids would be getting drawn up or even already drawn up and ready to deliver....see the article where there is a spanish firm entering a bid with a british firm ...see
http://www.vivantconsult.co.uk/news/latest-news/capita-symonds-to-bid-for-p32bn-hs2-contract.html
This firm was responsible for delivering the Madrid/seville and the Madrid/Barcelona high speed rail lines, although it may be a good company they are a spanish firm who delivered a spanish rail link, now before any bids are even looked at the priority from me as a taxpayer is that the project is awarded to british firms to employ british workers because after all this is suppose to be part of a kick start to the economy and unemployment but I wont hold my breath and suspect this contracted will be given to a non british company who will employ non british workers as this seems to be the norm now with all the backhanders going on.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
RedHerring2

from United Kingdom

Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 2434
Location: Staffordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 151 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote

Bodgeitandleggit wrote:
............. after all this is suppose to be part of a kick start to the economy and unemployment ...........


Whilst I can appreciate your sentiments, B&L, I'll ask the question "is this really supposed to give a kick to the economy?"

As I understand it, there'll probably be a couple of appeals, quite a bit of compulsory purchasing and a fair bit of legal wrangling to do first. All this might take a couple of years before real work starts.
Not much of a kickstart on that timeframe.

I thought that this was to prepare UK for a more competitive business approach by 2026.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Blasphemous

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 6650
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 15 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote

RedHerring2 wrote:
I thought that this was to prepare the UK for a more competitive business approach by 2026.

And whilst I can appreciate your sentiments RH, I think you missed a bit...

RedHerring2 wrote:
I thought that this was to prepare the west side of the UK for a more competitive business approach by 2026.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
breadnbutter

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 971
Location: Bedfordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 79 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote

its insane,36 plus billion tax payers money,to churn up buetifull countryside and woodland,destroy history,buildings,upheave peoples lives.so a few people can get to somewere 45 minutes faster. complete corroption of tax money in hard times.
Back to top
The following 2 users say thank you to breadnbutter for this useful post:
AndrewSchofield (12 Jan 2012), Susiejb (11 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Blasphemous

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 6650
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 15 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote

Why don't they spend the money on the WHOLE country by installing Super Fast Broadband? MUCH faster than trying to get somewhere for a meeting etc and the cables can be buried so no ruining of beautiful country side, people losing homes etc. This is what technology was supposed to be doing for us, providing a means to NOT having to travel to businesses all over the country/the world. There'd be no issues with weather interrupting business meetings, sales pitches etc and I doubt the cost would be anything near the multiple billions needed for Thomas and his friends!
Back to top
The following user says thank you to Blasphemous for this useful post:
Susiejb (11 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Bodgeitandleggit

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 1500
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote

RedHerring2 wrote:
Bodgeitandleggit wrote:
............. after all this is suppose to be part of a kick start to the economy and unemployment ...........


Whilst I can appreciate your sentiments, B&L, I'll ask the question "is this really supposed to give a kick to the economy?"

As I understand it, there'll probably be a couple of appeals, quite a bit of compulsory purchasing and a fair bit of legal wrangling to do first. All this might take a couple of years before real work starts.
Not much of a kickstart on that timeframe.

I thought that this was to prepare UK for a more competitive business approach by 2026.



This was mentioned by our leader DC about 6 months ago when he was talking about getting Britain moving again but my concern is that while every other country is looking after themselves the tender for this contract will be touted all over the world...look at Bombardier...uk firm lost out again...money talks and I personally think its back handers all the way
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
breadnbutter

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 971
Location: Bedfordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 79 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote

its a gross misuse of tax payers money,it is corrupt.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Bodgeitandleggit

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 1500
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote

breadnbutter wrote:
its insane,36 plus billion tax payers money,to churn up buetifull countryside and woodland,destroy history,buildings,upheave peoples lives.so a few people can get to somewere 45 minutes faster. complete corroption of tax money in hard times.


Totally agree....the enviromental cost just to get somewhere that little bit faster
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 12977
Location: Birmingham,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1255 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Crapita are one of the worst companies for providing anything on time and on budget and even then the customer tends to end up with a bag of s***te that fails to work as intended or at all .

Just how it is that they manage to continually secure so many Government and council contracts I don't know ... there surely must be some serious back-handers being dished out.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Bodgeitandleggit

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 1500
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote

^woody^ wrote:
Crapita are one of the worst companies for providing anything on time and on budget and even then the customer tends to end up with a bag of s***te that fails to work as intended or at all .

Just how it is that they manage to continually secure so many Government and council contracts I don't know ... there surely must be some serious back-handers being dished out.


The bigger the contract the bigger the envelope
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
MisterG

from United Kingdom

Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 437
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 7 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Blasphemous wrote:
Why don't they spend the money on the WHOLE country by installing Super Fast Broadband? MUCH faster than trying to get somewhere for a meeting etc and the cables can be buried so no ruining of beautiful country side, people losing homes etc. This is what technology was supposed to be doing for us, providing a means to NOT having to travel to businesses all over the country/the world. There'd be no issues with weather interrupting business meetings, sales pitches etc and I doubt the cost would be anything near the multiple billions needed for Thomas and his friends!


That is actually a very good idea. icon_smile.gif We can tele-commute where possible, would also save on petrol and help the environment by reducing green house gases.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
joinerjohn

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 6145
Location: Derby,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 198 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote

MisterG wrote:

That is actually a very good idea. icon_smile.gif We can tele-commute where possible, would also save on petrol and help the environment by reducing green house gases.


I wish someone would tell the green brigade this. Instead of jetting off to nice foreign locations for the latest conference on the climate change scam, they can all sit at home having a video conference. (don't hold your breath though,,, they like their nice foreign jaunts) icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif

PS FWIW, I reckon the HS2 link will be built by Eastern European workers, with little or no jobs going to British workers.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
pred

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 4507
Location: Bristol,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 26 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote

There are a few similarities between DC & AB ( Alan b*****d) aka Rick Mayo, i recall AB shafting the German PM, surely DC isn't shafting AM. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Caoineadhcuchulainn515

from Ireland

Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Posts: 55
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Imagine if you will. London to Birmingham train travelling at 200 mph plus hits an object some moronic imbecile has placed on the track. Result? I don't even want to think about it. Until you get rid of the mindless yobs who think that putting objects on the tracks is fun , then I can't see any railway company even contemplate traveling at that speed. So it's all a waste of time and money because it will not be used to its full potential and once again your country's ambitions will be halted through yobs.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Blasphemous

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 6650
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 15 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Caoineadhcuchulainn515 wrote:
Imagine if you will. London to Birmingham train travelling at 200 mph plus hits an object some moronic imbecile has placed on the track. Result? I don't even want to think about it. Until you get rid of the mindless yobs who think that putting objects on the tracks is fun , then I can't see any railway company even contemplate traveling at that speed. So it's all a waste of time and money because it will not be used to its full potential and once again your country's ambitions will be halted through yobs.
Why not fit sensors along the track that detect such foreign objects? It's not like cost is an issue, what's another half a million or so between crooks... erm friends.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.