Not DIY Gas but....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm visiting my elderly mother and could faintly smell gas in her kitchen, which has never been the case before. She has a double oven and it seems like the smell is emanating from he top oven/grill.

Now, I know that DIY gas can't be undertaken (and mustn't be discussed here) but the cooker is connected by a flexible hose with bayonet fitting and, from what I understand from the Gas Safe site, this can be disconnected by the homeowner/competent person for cleaning etc. I disconnected it and found that the smell coming from the cooker stopped, reconnected it and the smell started again. I tried this a few times with the same result so therefore believe the cooker has a fault and not the supply. This is my responsibility and don't want anyone to discuss this point due to forum rules.

What I want to know is:

Should I contact the insurance company that the cooker is covered with to report a fault or do I need to contact the National Grid emergency number to report a gas leak?
I'm imagining the insurance company will tell me to report a gas leak, and I understand that you can't be too safe when it comes to gas after hearing of tragedies, but don't want to go over the top as there is no smell of gas when the cooker is isolated. :confused:

MODS: Even though I'm not looking for advice on gas work, if this topic is against the rules then please lock or remove the thread.

Cheers
mrH :)

Sponsored Links
Call the insurance company and get them to fix it. If you're worried test that there aren't any bubbles at the bayonet fitting with a mild soap/water solution.

There's a specific exemption in the gas regs allowing users to disconnect self sealing bayonet fittings so you're all good!

Call the insurance company and get them to fix it. If you're worried test that there aren't any bubbles at the bayonet fitting with a mild soap/water solution.

There's a specific exemption in the gas regs allowing users to disconnect self sealing bayonet fittings so you're all good!

Yes, I read that in Technical Bulletin 025 so wasn't really concerned about disconnecting it.

I just tried the washing up liquid test and there's nothing at all to show a leak. As soon as I open the top oven door when it is connected the smell is stronger so I'm pretty sure that's the issue. I just wanted confirmation really so that I can push the point with the insurance, rather than being fobbed off.

Cheers, Razor - gave you another 'thanks' outside GD, so that it counts. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back