Anyone else tried Concrete Worktops?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a go at casting a concrete worktop and so far I'm happy with the results.

Here's the mold nearly ready:

[/img]

And here it is so far (I will be making a cover for the back to hide the rad etc):

I've gave it an initial sanding with 120 grit and am just waiting on my diamond pads arriving to complete the polishing process. Now I also need some appropriate concrete stain (dark grey/black) and sealer (food safe obviously). There's loads of concrete countertop specific products available in the US but I cant seem to find any in the UK. The P&P from the US is mega so I need to find something in the UK that will do the job.

Can anyone recommend a decent stain & sealers for the job? I was wanting a non water based acrylic or maybe a Urethane based sealer if possible.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that, they do a finishing wax that looks quite good. :)

I'm really struggling to find a decent acrylic or urethane sealer though. Also need a good stain.

Sponsored Links
The rad is there because there is almost no free wall space in that room what so ever. There will be another (cast iron) rad on the one free bit of wall in the room as well as that one hidden under the bench to give the correct BTU.

Really interested in the progress of this too, glock. So keep the info' coming.

The rad is there because there is almost no free wall space in that room what so ever. There will be another (cast iron) rad on the one free bit of wall in the room as well as that one hidden under the bench to give the correct BTU.

Correct BTU`s is one thing but how big are the windows/Doors?

Again ,only asking. I have one room where the rad is not near the window and its a little chilly when the temp drops.
Although I accept yours is a kitchen and there will be other heat sources.

Correct BTU`s is one thing but how big are the windows/Doors?

Theres some big Bifold doors in there but they were added to the calcs. The rads been running by it's self for a couple of weeks and seems good so should be even warmer once the other rad is up

I have one room where the rad is not near the window and its a little chilly when the temp drops.
Although I accept yours is a kitchen and there will be other heat sources.
Is it possible to add a smaller rad under the window to take the chill off?

Is it possible to add a smaller rad under the window to take the chill off?

There really isn't any problem with the rads, it's a very warm room.

I'm just after some decent stain & sealers for the worktop available in the UK, such as a non water based acrylic or maybe a Urethane based sealer if possible. I've been Googling for days but can't seem to find anything like what the guys in the US use yet.

Cheers!

Is it possible to add a smaller rad under the window to take the chill off?[/quote]

Not really, all the decorating is done, fitted wardrobes ect. Concrete floor, so not going under that either.
Next job on the to do list when the gaff gets a make over.

Only noticed it on the last cold snap anyway, generally the heating is not on.

I have been considering doing something similar.

Can i ask a few questions?

I assume the base board stays there.
The edges extend down past the base board correct?
How did you cast the upstand, just a stiff mix?

What was your mix?

Thanks.

I've only ever used this stuff on floors. But they are supposed to helpful vis their Technical Dept:

Thanks for that, sounds quite promising. Wonder if its food safe etc? I'll have to do some research on it.

Still looking for more suggestions on Stains & Sealers if anyone has them :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back