Smoke backing up from chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I live in an end of terrace house built in 1900. I have an open fire place in the dining room which I've just had swept ( I've never used it before ). In the front room we have a gas fire and so this has a vent.

When I light the open fire I can smell smoke coming from under the gas fire in the other room. There's only one visible chimney pot which is on the stack above the open fire.

Can I assume that the stack has been blocked above the gas fire therefore smoke is backing up into my living room? Would smoke come back down into the living room?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Errr time for a tiny bit of investigation, Ashley.....
Each burning appliance needs its own flue..... but in the good old days sometimes two flues became one right at the top. What happened when the chimney was swept - did the brush appear at the chimney top?
Where is the flue outlet for your gas fire?
John :)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The brush did come out of the chimney pot. It looks like the flues join in the loft. There is only one pot on top so I think the left side is capped off or maybe has some sort of a cover on it? It's hard to tell from the ground.

Certainly you need to investigate the chimney situation immediately.....if smoke is appearing at the gas fire base then the flues are either blocked or joined.
If you look at the brick flues in the loft they may appear to join, but in fact they should continue seperately to the chimney stack outside.
When you say 'vent' I assume you mean an air vent into the room?
A spill test needs to be carried out on the gas fire installation promptly!
Please don't use the appliances like this!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Your gas fire is as dangerous if not more so. I think Burnerman is advising you not to use either fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back