Do plasterboard joints always have to be filled before skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but in the past when I've done the work myself i'v always taped and used a jointing compound across the taped joint. Extremely necessary on my part because my joints were more like chasms!

I was just reminded of this - too late - having had plasterers in to board and plaster a large area of our house, Walls and ceilings.

What's bothering me - making me feel very worried to be honest - is I've just realised they were taping and skimming without using anything to fill the joints first.

Is this necessarily a problem?

Overall I've been really impressed with their work - very neat boarding, nicely taped, well beaded, and the finish is better than I've seen from any professional plastering I've had done before.

I'm just worried that I should have demanded they filled the taped joints (admittedly tiny) before skimming.

Should I have?

I'm just worried I'm now going to spend the rest of my life in that house up ladders filling cracks and repainting on a regular basis.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need to fill the gaps before applyiing scrim tape. I only do it if the gap is over 5mm wide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back