Is this rendering quote ok?

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a few rendering quotes through, does this look right:

Yes strip most or all old render , treat with s.b.r/an til sulfate-maybe.
Start again rest new smooth waterproof render. With salt inhibitor
New drip beads bottom of wall at damp coarse level .
New drip bead a rounds windows make Walter-tight.
1/2 scratch coats .
1 top coat render with small amount of lime - stops cracks/allows to breath.
I render 1st class no nasty bumps/dips
I float 2 times/sponge 2 times with soft and hard sponge - taking exsess sand build ups off.
Many other methods - developed over 15 years of plastering-e.c.t
You will need to supply a scaffold.
You will need to supply materials- basic stuff 1 tone Building-sand 1 tone washed -plastering sand. Waterproofing/bonding agent.
I guess materials - 400/500 top wack.
I can do this for u 4 1800 pounds.

How much would a scaffold cost?

Exterior images below

Sponsored Links
You will need to supply a scaffold.
You will need to supply materials- basic stuff 1 tone Building-sand 1 tone washed -plastering sand. Waterproofing/bonding agent.
I guess materials - 400/500 top wack.
I can do this for u 4 1800 pounds.

I wouldn't have much confidence - These bits above give me most cause for concern.

If I was the pro doing this, I would want to ensure I had sourced the materials myself to avoid possible problems.

Price and mats are quoted a bit vague. Not much confidence inspired there.
It's a quote from a professional tradesman, not doing a deal on a 2nd hand car.

Finally, if I was risking myself going up the side of a house I would want to ensure the scaffolding was from a reputable company, not rely on the customer. Customer could end up going for the absolute cheapest cowboy.

See how your other quotes compare?

As above.

There seem to be too many loose ends in the quote. There are also significant factors not even mentioned.

Nowadays there are a number of synthetic renders available - i dont know much about them but experienced renderers talk them up.
There is also the matter of external insulation?

Without going on about stuff i can see in the pics, you should be aware of for example: the ground level step up shown in pic 5, and the roof sand and cement fillet in pic 1. Just saying.

I think the quote is alright but that is irrelevant until you get more of them. Nothing wrong with you getting the scaffold or materials. Better perhaps than the plasterer putting a few quid on top. If you agree on the job, he will probably give you specifics on the materials.

I don't think saying 400 to 500 is that vague in this case. He's giving you a max so you can budget.Different merchants might supply the beads or sand for example at different rates. It might take a few bags of cement more than planned etc . You are in control of the cost, so will know exactly how much. Lots of plasterers allow the customer to buy the material. First, it saves you outlaying on a job for a new customer who might not pay promptly. Second, it shows you are not trying to diddle anyone on marking up material.

I think the breakdown of works is more detailed than most quotes we see here, though I would like the beads to be specified plastic or stainless steel.also who removes the waste/debris? Bear in mind until you start you have no idea of how hard it will be to take off ALL the render, or what will then actually be needed until it is off.

However the only way to test the quote is get at least two others,as DIYNewbie says ; all of whom are happy to show you other work they have done.

I'd really like to see someone scaffold, hack off, supply and fix,take down scaffold for 1800 as suggested. Think of what each operation costs.diyguideonline- Martin, could you really do it for that ? If so, how much per day would you make?

I certainly couldn't do it for that.

Ree - The post about synthetic render is not really relevant to the quote itself (although perhaps an option for the OP to consider) ,the plasterer is quoting for trad render as requested.
As for the fillet etc it would be more helpful to the OP if you did more than ' just saying' having raised a concern!

Now the above seems me being a bit narky - but internet quotes and opinions on them are of very little value. The posters don't have to back up their comments by doing the job. Rendering is a skilled part of the trade, good work is at a premium. Look at how many posts here are about bad work and incorrect specs. Is the cheapest quote always the best? Is 1800 actually a high price here?

The second hand car remark is a good analogy, but in a different way. The render will last 25+ years. It will protect your house. It is the first thing that people see when they look at it. A two grand car won't last that long.

Sponsored Links
Micilin,

we dont know what was offered or discussed - synthetics, or insulation, are commonly offered modern options. Perhaps the OP declined them? Perhaps the OP requested galv beads, or wishes to keep the debris - who knows. Hence, i mentioned a few significant items that might have been missed.

I'm brief regarding remedial items on the pics because it gives the OP the option of following it up if they wish. In a sense, all comments on here are causes for concern to the OP.

Micilin,

we dont know what was offered or discussed - synthetics, or insulation, are commonly offered modern options. Perhaps the OP declined them? Perhaps the OP requested galv beads, or wishes to keep the debris - who knows. Hence, i mentioned a few significant items that might have been missed.

I'm brief regarding remedial items on the pics because it gives the OP the option of following it up if they wish. In a sense, all comments on here are causes for concern to the OP.

Of course - and I accept I went on a bit of a rant but if you spot something and think it is a concern isnt it better to deal with it rather than leave it hanging?

If you spot loose ends and other significant factors, deal with them otherwise you are just muddying the waters - that is just leaving more loose ends yourself!!

The useful part of these threads is less the actual quote and more what needs to be done to make it a good job ie the technical requirements so that the poster is matching quotes that are like for like.

As for we don;t know what was discussed the OP is clear - he is getting a quote for traditional render and wants opinions on that . If there is merit on an alternative, perhaps suggest why?

I didn't get anywhere with this in the end (my boiler went pop and I couldn't afford to do both).

I think I need to be a bit smarter before I go and get quotes again.

Earlier in the thread external insulation was mentioned - should I be after this? how much thickness does it add to the wall over a 'normal' render? How much benefit will I get from it? Any downsides to it? How does it get terminated where the house joins the neighbours? How much more will it cost?

What sort of modern renders should I be looking at and are there any downsides?

Any recommended people to do the job in S.E London?

You are already much smarter: you are now asking the "right questions", in other words, you have choice. You vindicate my approach, FWIW, to suggest things and then leave it up to you, the OP, to run with them or not, as you wish.

Not that i can answer your new questions, but i'm sure that the wonderful YouTube will have videos of various synthetics and external insulations and their applications? Why not also use the Search facility on here.

Again FWIW: i would steer clear of any quotes that dont include removing debris and supplying and erecting their "own" scaffolding.

Render has sometimes been applied to older buildings to hide damage, cracks etc. When the old render is knocked off, structural damage, or failing brickwork, might be revealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back