Newbie to plastering, patchwork quilt of plasterboard lol...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Total newbie to plastering here, hoping to give it a go soon, I'm after some tips.

I bought some tapered edge plasterboard for a stud wall upstairs with the hope of getting away with just taping the joins. Then I realised that I couldn't get the boards upstairs in one piece due to the size, so I had to cut them in half....thus I'm now left with boards which need to be plastered. I understand the boards have to be screwed down firmly, then scrim tape added to any joints, but is there any other advice you lot could offer a first time plasterer in this situation as regards type of plaster and technique?

Thanks in Advance :)

Sponsored Links
Reading through a few posts which I didn't spot while searching earlier, a popular method seems to be a couple of coats of bonding plaster followed by finishing plaster....might this be the answer? :)

No, bonding is not for plasterboard, bonding is for filling holes or making a rubbish surface better for final plastering ( easy way to explain it ). On boards use board finish or multi finish, thats it.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Bonding can be used on plasterboard but it is only used as a backing plaster prior to skimming. There is no need to use it unless you need to build up thickness

Some of the studs must have a slight bow/twist in them as when screwed down tight, there's 'steps' of 2-3mm here and there which probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if I'd used whole boards.

Also I've got the tapered bit to build up slightly.

So yes I'd need to build up thickness a little in places. :)

I have had to use bonding on dabbed walls that were far from tidy. If you have 3mm gaps it may be easier to apply a tight coat of bonding, you can mix it with multifinish too if it needs to be quite thin.

I assume the boards need pva'ing first, and how long to leave the bonding before the multifinish goes on, overnight?

Thanks to everyone who answered, it's really helped me build up a picture in my mind of how I need to approach this. Cheers lads. :)

Yes, you should be ok but watch out for suction on these areas when you put your finish coat on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back