Plastering a ceiling with torn plasterboard backing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Does anyone have any tips on this as never done it? I've plastered a good few ceilings but they have tended to be new boarded.

This is my landing, they did the old trick of plaster boarding the ceiling then filling the nail holes and gaps before covering it with lining paper and then wall paper. After taking both layers off some (say 20%) of the paper has come off the plasterboard. It's only back to bare plaster in a couple of minor places.

Should it be a doddle or should I take the board down and put new stuff on. Was thinking of Uni Bonding where the paper has come off the plastering as usual (before the UB dries of course).

Any thoughts guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use WBA or Bondit over the whole board to

- seal up the areas you need to
- to get and even background

if using pva ai would give the patches a strong coat at least a day before , then coat the whole lot before you skim while tacky but I would prefer not to as you can get crazing on the dry areas stlll.

SBR would work if done the day before on the dry areas.

I tend to PVA any torn areas, as the gypsum chalk will suck all the moisture out of your plaster finish and cracks will appear if not treated.
So heed the wise words of wisdom of Micillin.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back