Bad taste of TCP in water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new sink and a new monoblock mixer tap, and it seems since the day i did this we have noticed a strong taste of tcp in the water,the problem is, the water in the bathroom taps is ok,as we are using the upstairs taps to fill the kettle, so i have re fitted the old tap thinking it might be something to do with the flexible hoses but its still the same, i cant help thinking that it must be something to do with some sort of feedback from the boiler, and that somehow the water from the heating system is leaking into the water , it has been suggested i may have a problem with the heat exchanger, maybe a crack causing the cross contamination, the boiler is a worcester junior 24i combi boiler, this seems a bit of a coincidence this has all happened when i changed the tap but now its all back as original and still the terrible taste then its a real brain ache, so i would realy appreciate if there are any boiler engineers or plumbers that can give me the answer or even a clue to what is going on here.

Sponsored Links
"Anglian Water, like all other UK water companies is required by law to disinfect the water supply, and for this purpose chlorine is added during the water treatment process. These tastes and odours can be caused by the reaction between chlorine present in tap water and plastic or rubber components found in common household appliances, such as kettles, tap washers, and the hoses connecting dishwashers and washing machines to the mains supply. "

Chlorine reacting with your new tap washers?

Sponsored Links
Oh no it hasnt, nobody has give any explanation of the problem, thats what i asked, i tried all the things discussed on this website, looking for someone who has had the same problem as mine.

Yes, it has. A search threw up this;

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1610768#1610768

and this

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1326243#1326243

and this

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1692928#1692928

That's how I got the link about the TCP taste in the water. The answer is in there, I'm sorry you're having difficulty in understanding it. Just bin the cheap parts you bought, use WRAS ones suitable for use with potable water and learn how to solder. One of those tips will sort it out. Works for me, every time.

PS That's alright, don't mention it.

Thank you for your reply and i do appreciate your help, the only thing i have different left in the cold and hot water downstairs are the isolation valves which by the look of them they are steel? as the tap hoses are WRAS, so i am thinking i best be taking them out of the equasion,

as like i said this taste happened the minute i originally fitted the taps, and it tastes fine upstairs.thats the only logical solution.

thank you again and sorry if i sounded a bit short in my reply, drives ya crazy all the running up and down stairs to fill a kettle.ha.

I had the same problem after I fitted new washing machine hoses a couple of years ago.
I then fitted double check valves between the copper pipes and washing machine hoses and the problem was gone.

Thanks everybody for all your comments and help, i been on it all day, took out the valves and all is good now, i cant make out whats wrong with these valves but they have the same TCP like smell, a very strong smell,

will take them back to the plumb center to see what they have to say, no doubt about the tast of the water, tastes fresh as fresh, thank you again.

I'm new to this site, came across it when I googled tcp taste from kettle. I was actually looking for tips on how to get rid of the taste quickly, as I know it will go over time.

So, I was wondering, have you had a new kettle recently or started using one that has not been used before? Because that tends to give the same tcp taste. My mother-in-law only ever uses her kettle when I come around as they tend to make milky coffee in the microwave, the tcp taste is even stronger from their kettle through lack of use. But, if I boil the water in the microwave then there is no tcp taste at all.

Anyway, 'twas just a suggestion; before you start ripping out all your plumbing. Maybe try boiling water in the microwave to see if it tastes any different.

I had similar issues from a tenant, she was complaining of a bad taste inwater for no aparent reason, i.e. no work was done on any of her plumbing, so i suspected there might be some problem with the boiler heat exchanger, there could be a leak in the plate heatexchanger, however, I had to rule it out since logically if there was a leak between the two seperate chambers or plates, then the mains water would also leak back into the central heating water and fully pressurise the boiler past 3 bars! and whereas the pressure gauge on the boiler was at its usual 1.2 to 1.5bars.

So if in doubt, check the pressure gauge of your boiler to reveal if there is any undue pressure rise or the pressure safety valve being activated to discharge cold water filling into the CH circuit.

I can only put that foul taste down to possibly contamination from another source outside the house, could be someoneelse's appliance may have discharged foul water into the water mains duringa low pressure strike in the mains, and ended up in my tenant's flat, after a few days she reported the water was no longer tasting bad!

I'm new to this site, came across it when I googled tcp taste from kettle. I was actually looking for tips on how to get rid of the taste quickly, as I know it will go over time.

So, I was wondering, have you had a new kettle recently or started using one that has not been used before? Because that tends to give the same tcp taste. My mother-in-law only ever uses her kettle when I come around as they tend to make milky coffee in the microwave, the tcp taste is even stronger from their kettle through lack of use. But, if I boil the water in the microwave then there is no tcp taste at all.

Anyway, 'twas just a suggestion; before you start ripping out all your plumbing. Maybe try boiling water in the microwave to see if it tastes any different.

hi, i did post on 15 dec that i had actually solved the problem, it was two valves that were fitted to make changing the taps easier, when i took them out my hands actuallt smelt of the tcp smell, i put then in a bag and could even smell it through the bag, as for the kettle thing, i have had a problem with a kettle i bought from ebay, the kettle was so called new but when i used it it had a simular taste in the water, i sent it back to Salter and they sent me a brand new one, but i still have it here in the box unopened as i bought a stainless steel one, as i put it down to the plastic inside the kettle makes the bad taste, so any way, all is ok now, if you still have a problem with the taste then have a look if you have any valves or stainless steel fitting in the pipes leading to the tap, it must be something causing the taste and unfortunately a process of illimination thing....

As I understand it, chlorine reacts with certain plastics to form polyphenols responsible for the TCP flavour. I have a 1 barrel brewery and it can be a big problem for brewers.

I don't know how long polyphenols typically take to form, I suspect it depends on the plastic and chlorine levels (which can vary). I have this problem if I leave water in my ASDA kettle over night although I have heard of people having problems with new washing machine hoses (as already mentioned).

If you suspect it is coming from the kettle, always fill with fresh water before boiling or use filtered water or buy a stainless steel kettle. But don't allow filtered water to sit in the kettle as the chlorine content isn't completely removed and you may still experience the same problem.

If you suspect new washing machine hoses, isolate them with check valves or try running the water through the tap for a while before filling the kettle.

Filters don't remove phenols (to the best of my knowledge) so if you still have problems using filtered water, it's probably not your kettle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back