boiler replacement - new pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a house and it needed a new boiler and were recommended by a few to change all the pipework too. The plumbers are 80% done and just noticed that in half the rooms, they used the existing pipes (cutting corners, saving money...) I will highlight this to them as I was quoted for repiping of the whole system but wondering what the impact is on using much older pipes.

Sponsored Links
If the pipes are cleaned/flushed properly, shouldn't be a problem. But if it was a dirty/sludgy old system and not flushed properly, that muck may make it's way into your new boiler.

Old, sound pipework doesn't need to be binned as a matter of course. The pipes in my house are 55 years old, as are half the rads and valves.

But if you paid for all new pipes, then that's what you should get.

There are benifits to reusing some sections of old pipe of it is sound.

For example I am currently replacing all my copper heating pipe work and fitting all new rads but there is a section into my bathroom downstairs where I have been able to reuse 2 longer lengths of 15mm meaning there are no joints from my 22mm main run until you are inside the bathroom. I could not have gotten length of 15mm in as a new piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back