Boiler working but central heating will not come on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would just like some advice before I might have to call out a company.

I have recently moved house.

The house has a Horstmann DRT2 thermostat. The thermostat has power (I have put new batteries in). When the thermostat gets to the temperature that the heating should come on, I hear a click but it does not fire up the boiler.

The boiler is working as the hot water is coming on.

The boiler is on a timer via a Landis and Staefa control panel. I have checked all the timings and it is set so the heating should come on between 0600-2300pm, which is the times I am in the house and the heating is not coming on.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Thank you in advance,
Rachel

Sponsored Links
Does a small flame symbol come up on the screen when you hear the click ?

Hi,

yes the flame symbol is appearing

Thanks for any advice

check the boiler is set to heating and hot water and the ch stat (on the boiler) is turned up.

Sponsored Links
It is a glowworm energy saver boiler and doesn't have a button that allows me just to choose hot water or central heating (my old boiler had this). The thermostat on the boiler is set to a high temperature.

The electronic timer attached to the boiler is set to come on at 0600 and basically go off at 11pm. I wonder if this electronic timer is the problem but it is allowing the hot water to come on (it has just come on as I type, the boiler has fired up fine for the hot water).

Does it sound like a problem with the thermostat I have in the lounge for the centre heating (the horstmann one?). I have read somewhere the relays on these can fail, but I am not sure this is the case if i am hearing a clicking sound and if the heating symbol has appeared on the LCD.

Thank you

I assumed you had a combi, try putting the ch timer on constant as your thermostat is programmable, failing that you might have a faulty zone valve, assuming you have zone valves.

Have put the programmer onto constant but nothing seems to happen. Again, I can hear a click in the programmer on the boiler when I turn it to constant, but the boiler doesn't turn on.

I am not sure about the zone valve.

Thanks for your time in helping me try and sort out the problem. Will call somebody out, at least I have tried a few things to make sure it is not me being stupid.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back