change bathroom/basin cold taps to mains instead of storage?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The Bathroom basin cold taps where we clean our teeth comes from the cold water storage tank up in the attic - what if I were to modify the pipework a bit and hook it up to mains water instead? - any problems? any breaking of water law (in Ireland, so water law may be different to UK) ? and just keep the cold water storage tank up in loft feeding toilet system and immersion heater tank.

Sponsored Links
If your bathroom is above your kitchen, you could run a 15mm hep pipe from under the sink and up the corner of a wall/behind a kitchen unit and upto the bathroom above. From there you could come from under the bath to the basin. Or come down from the loft with a supply from the feed to the cold water storage tank.

My basin water is from the mains, it is also good for getting a glass of water a 3am :eek:

Andy

The cold pipe feeding the tank from the mains may actualy pass through the bathroom. In that case just tee off, or remove between bathroom and loft altogether if the tank is not going to be used any more.

the bathroom is downstairs and the attic in the loft, from wht I can make out the easiest if not correct way would be to do it is take of feed from cold basin/cold bath/toilet cistern from bottom of storage tank and blank that off and put a tee on the mains pipe going to storage tank ballcock valve and join the wires to that ... but then that would give me cold mains for the bath cold tap and toilet cistern as well and shouldnt those be tank fed only?

Sponsored Links
No problem doing that - but the WC cistern may have had a little insert put into it to cater for it being low pressure. Also, having cold mains to the bath may be a problem if you have a shower mixer tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back