combi boiler cutting out low DHW flow hot/cold bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in our house for three months and have a vokera linea combi boiler circa 8 years old. We live in a hard water area and have a water softener but I have only recently filled that with salt! The boiler has decent fire power (35 something something....)

The shower was Ok but not great when we first moved in but our previous house had high water pressure so we just assumed we were used to top pressure. Since I turned the heating on for winter the boiler has started cutting out, initially what looked like a one off and now every few days. It resets eassily. When the hot water is turned on, the temperature on the boiler starts shooting up. It seems if the reading stays less than 90 degrees the boiler stays on but cuts out at 90 degrees. The mains water pressure downstairs is fine, not brilliant but not bad. We are end terrace of a shared supply and told that affects the pressure so possibly it is better at nonpeak times, worse at peak times. You can flush the downstairs loo and the sink will still run. The water flow upstairs is not brilliant on cold but pathetic on hot. The water upstairs and downstairs now runs very intermittently hot and cold and the water on full hot only is only hand hot. Downstairs it is teh same though less noticeable when filling a sink than standing in a shower! It used to be hotter. I used to mix cold water in on the shower. Then I had to put it on full hot and step out at the hot bits. Now it is on full hot and I step out at the very cold bits! There is no thermostat control or timer clock. It is (was) remote but we think it was thrown away when the house was sold and cleaned!

I have been told the problem is that the heat exchanger is clogged and needs replacing and the system needs flushing. It is recommended that a magnaboost is fitted to reduce rescaling. And a thermostat is fitted so the boiler is taking some instruction on what to do.

Someone else has also queried whether the divertor valve is dicky.

All that sounds plausible but there is an economic decision to make about doing all this on an 8 year old boiler versus 'simply' changing the whole boiler which will then be under guarantee. But one plumber said he was reluctant to change the boiler only to learn that because of the fluctuating water pressure the boiler underperforms, or that there are other problems in the system - eg permanently clogged pipework, inadequate sized pipes, blocked valve somewhere.

Ideas on what to do?! I don't know anything about plumbing so any answers or thoughts in layman's terms please! Thank you in advance. Ali

Sponsored Links
You seem to be asking a lot of people for free information. That is not usually the best way to get a correct diagnosis. I always charge for a diagnostic visit! If I ever went free then it would be subsidised by other clients which would be totally unfair to them and prevent me from giving economic charges.

My advice would be to get a competent boiler engineer to repair it.

If you really dont trust any as you seem to imply then try British Gas for a fixed price repair.

Tony

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to give as much info as possible in order to try to get a definite view, rather than illicit free advice. Not my style at all to try and undercut anyone, so apologies if I misunderstood the limitations of this forum.

The initial diagnosis about the heat exchanger was from British Gas. I've had three boiler engineers since consider this diagnosis and then scratch their heads about whether it is the right thing to do. All of them are recommended to me so I trust what they say but no one is convinced about what to do. I would gladly pay for an accurate diagnosis. No problem with that. There is a problem that needs fixing but what problem and what fix?

Sponsored Links
The initial diagnosis about the heat exchanger was from British Gas. I've had three boiler engineers since consider this diagnosis and then scratch their heads about whether it is the right thing to do. All of them are recommended to me so I trust what they say but no one is convinced about what to do.

It now seems that you have had FOUR different engineers all giving you advice for free.

I would never trust any free advice! Why should anyone make free visits to diagnose boiler faults?

The only way to get a correct diagnosis is to PAY a competent engineer to diagnose the fault. That can only be done in front of the boiler!

Some, perhaps understandably might even give you false suggestions if they have realised that you just want a free diagnosis and they are not going to get paid.

I am sure your doctor, dentist, accountant or solicitor dont give free consultations. I always charge for all diagnostic visits. It would be unfair for me to expect my clients to subsidise my making free visits to anyone.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back