Combi-Boiler, shower mixer running Cold but all sinks are ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!

I have a combi boiler in a new build flat (2.5 years old) and the mixer in the bathroom produces a cold bath/shower whilst the other taps produce very hot water. Perhaps it's a high pressure problem but I don't know and more importantly I don't know how to fix.

The pressure on the older is just above 1 bar and I have put the temperature up to 65 degrees.

To check the flow rates I filed a mop bucket in the bath with hot water and it took around 93s whilst the kitchen sink filled it in around 76s.

I'm baffled to be honest and I really want a hot bath!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As your flat is nearly new chances are you have a thermostatic mixer tap or a blending valve under the bath, is there a dial or lever on the tap to adjust the temperature ?

Check that its not just a flow issue! Run the shower at the same time as a hot tap on half flow.

Otherwise it could be a failed temperature control cartridge in the shower. They can often be cleaned by a descaling chemical if its due to lime scale. that varies according to your local water supply.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried running the bath/shower at full power turned to hot with the bathroom sink half way (both hot then cold) and likewise with my kitchen sink. No joys!

Something is strange and its slowly happened over the coarse of a year maybe (I've just been lazy to be honest as I have an electrical shower in the ensuite). When I first moved I could get a hot bath no problem and little has changed but time! (Unless Scottish water have done something major to the water in that time)

I really don't want to call a plumber and throw money away if I could do it myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back