Danfoss 1/2" TRV - Still purchase them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to replace 7 Danfoss TRV's on imperial sized rad's. I am not a plumber but can happily replace \ install standard 15mm TRV's. However the TRV's on the current rad's are not 15mm at the rad end and seem to have a converter in place to fit to the main heating pipework.

I was going to replace with standard 15mm TRV's by replacing the "bushes" in the rad's but doing this would still mean the new TRV's would be a different physical size and this may cause install issues with the pipework as it may be fixed under the floor etc. What I mean is the newer TRV's are smaller \ more compact than my older ones and physically this could give installation issues.....

Questions \ advice

Can you still buy these old TRV - or an updated model that would allow a straight swap?

What rad "bush" do I need to convert the rad outlet to a standard 15mm connection

Are the any 15mm TRV's the same physical size as these ones I have.

GALLERY]

Many thanks,

Terry

Sponsored Links
Standard trv s will fit you may have to cut a couple of mill off the pipe going into valve to get correct height. or even socket and extend but usually just enough play on pipe to avoid this

No bushes req

Just had a look at my new TRV's (Siemens SFMTN51GB). Now the bolt on the old ones (the ones already in place as per pictures) is much larger than the bolt on the new ones. I would say at a minimum I will have to remove the "tail" (not sure if that's correct terminology), the bit that connects to the rad, and replace this with the newer ones that come with the new TRV valves?

Are there any TRV that would just connect direct to the old TRV fitting already in place. Looking at the rad's I think there is a lot of work \ effort in removing the old "tails" :(

Thanks,

Terry

Nope you have to remove the tail. Rad valve spanner cost about a fiver (big allen key ) will have them out in seconds .
The spanner needs to be type with a couple of grooves in it

Sponsored Links
You could have bought replacement heads and and saved your self all that work.

and yes you can still buy these danfoss valve which can either fit on to 1/2"bsp iron our copper.

The OP's picture shows a Danfoss RAVL 1/2"-15mm Angled TRV
which is now obsolete

But as stated the Danfoss RAS 1/2"-15mm Angle TRV SHOULD be a straight swap ;)

Just looking online now at the RAS-D2 TRV's. I will order a couple up to to use if changing to the Siemens ones causes particular issues on some of my RAD's.

Thanks all for your help, it's appreciated.

Terry

Sorry if I am being a bit dumb here!

What's the standard size for the tail that comes with a standard TRV. I have fitted a few of these now and looking at pictures of the Danfoss RAS-D2 TRV's these look like standard sizes, i.e. exactly what I have now.

Does anyone know a product code for the Danfoss unit I need? I am not sure the below is the right "size"

http://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-ras-d-chrome-trv-8-10-15mm-angled-l-s/88443#rating_link_anchor

http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/PCMPDF/336v02.pdf

Thanks,

Terry

Standard is half inch thread into rad with a 15mm nut(half inch) onto the valve body.
Your existing valve is half inch thread into rad with a 3/4 inch nut onto valve boby.

Boilerman2 comment that straight swap is not worded right as tale still needs to be changed.

ANY half inch 15mm trv will do depending on your budget a half decent one is bulldog from plumbcentre 3 for around 26 quid more you buy cheaper they are

We have just ordered a load of Danfoss RAS 1/2"BSP angled TRV's for a School refurb, the tail has a 3/4" union and the inlet comes with an olive and male threaded union which converts the valve to use 15mm copper

Do not confuse these valves with the Domestic type TRV made by Danfoss ;)

Hello,

I need to replace 7 Danfoss TRV's on imperial sized rad's. I am not a plumber but can happily replace \ install standard 15mm TRV's. However the TRV's on the current rad's are not 15mm at the rad end and seem to have a converter in place to fit to the main heating pipework.

I was going to replace with standard 15mm TRV's by replacing the "bushes" in the rad's but doing this would still mean the new TRV's would be a different physical size and this may cause install issues with the pipework as it may be fixed under the floor etc. What I mean is the newer TRV's are smaller \ more compact than my older ones and physically this could give installation issues.....

Questions \ advice

Can you still buy these old TRV - or an updated model that would allow a straight swap?

What rad "bush" do I need to convert the rad outlet to a standard 15mm connection

Are the any 15mm TRV's the same physical size as these ones I have.

GALLERY]

Many thanks,

Terry

Hi.Having broken a radiator control valve and unable to find a replacement i wondered if you still had your old ones as they look the same and if so could i buy them.Regards Michael.

i know the thread is abit old but those valves aren't a straight swap, not only will the tails need to be replaced into the rads but the old valves have a female thread which the nut that seals the olive screws into, all of the modern trv's i have seen have the nut that screws on the outside of the valve, so unless you can still buy them the olive & nut on the pipe will need to be removed

I ended up replacing the TRV's, there was enough "slack" in most pipe work under the floor as the new TRV's were smaller.

Thanks for all the help.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back