Drain valve on Valliant ecoTec plus boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We got a valliant ecoTec plus boiler and the pressure is too high right now at 3 bar, we’d like to know how to release the pressure.
I’ve attached an image of the bottom of the boiler.
Can’t figure out where the drain valve is. Please help!

Opening the two gray valves lets water into the boiler and we’d like to do the opposite :)

Thanks in advance

2uh34t5.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are two drain valves in your picture, one on the right and one on the left. With the square ended boss.
That boiler looks as though it's never been serviced btw, how old is it? If it's more than about 4 or 5 yrs old you should get it looked at, for a couple of reasons.

I can't see from the picture how you can tell it has not been Serviced Sooey?? please explain? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Other ways of releasing pressure from your boiler/ch system are;

Open a rad bleed valve until pressure drops to the correct level

or

Open a ch drain valve - usuall on pipework under rads and/or boiler at lowest point of system.

With both methods, you will need to put something down to catch any drips of water that comes out.

P.S. Sooey got eyes like a hawk! :eek: :eek: ;)

I can't see from the picture how you can tell it has not been Serviced Sooey?? please explain? :confused:

As gasservice said it's the condense trap. Mind you it's hard to tell but, looking at that pipework the fitter hasn't left much room to get it out.
It looks like the usual story of a boiler put on the wall and left to die though.

it might also be worth checking if the expansion vessel is in need of replacing as vaillant/glowworm seem to require new vessel's on regular basis, over the last 7 yrs 99% of breakdowns ive attended have been vaillants or glowworms which is why i "wouldnt" recomend to anyone,

strange, I've never replaced a vessel on a Val/Glow. Just Re-charged them to .75bar :)

Intact did one yesterday to a EcoTech.

My input as a engineer, and ex vaillant engineer.
it sounds like you have been fortunate enough to only come across vessels requiring recharge, as an ex vaillant engineer i can assure you vessel replacements are quite a regular thing on both vaillant and glowworm and this is since leaving vaillant to join british gas on homecare insurance scheme, vaillant/glowworm supply my local council with free replacement parts due to the high volume of boiler breakdowns within the first 6 months of the boilers being installed, so from my experience with them my opinion is they aint worth a ****

Been a BG engineer we're told to drain off the condensation first and then Pre-charge the vessel again. This is due to the huge number of vessel we were changing, engineers saw a drop of water from the valve and instantly thought the diaphragms split. I've only changed one split vessel in 10 years, and that was instantly noted by the air been forced out of the Auto Air Vent, the others have been on Baxi 105es due to crud been stuck in the vessel. I've had one Worcester CDi were water leaked some the seal, but that was fixed by recharging the vessel and re-charging.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I have seen 1000's of boilers.

I'm sure it regular, but how often do the makers send time on actually finding the cause of the problem before chucking parts at it. A high volume of parts changing would scream to me that there is a production problem that needs attention.

My input as a engineer, and ex vaillant engineer.
it sounds like you have been fortunate enough to only come across vessels requiring recharge, as an ex vaillant engineer i can assure you vessel replacements are quite a regular thing on both vaillant and glowworm and this is since leaving vaillant to join british gas on homecare insurance scheme, vaillant/glowworm supply my local council with free replacement parts due to the high volume of boiler breakdowns within the first 6 months of the boilers being installed, so from my experience with them my opinion is they aint worth a ****

Well coming from another ex vaillant/glowworm engineer i can only assume you need educating on repressurising expansion vessels. In 4yrs I replaced 3. Have you looked at the label on an expansion vessel to see the who made it? You may find the same vessels are fitted in numerous different makes. A problem for one would be a problem for all. I have a feeling you have an axe to grind but you'll quickly get found out round here ;)

I doubt there is many GS engineers working in your area so I'll find out monday if anyone got sacked there recently :LOL:

you looking for a free vaillant t shirt are you lol well good luck to you mate, and dont get me wrong the the vessel aint made by vaillant or glowworm but there are many other badly made components that make a vaillant/glowworm boiler, like sani blocs that are proned to splitting the flue hoods that shrink, the system pressure sensors that fail to give an accurate reading the internal filling link taps that shear off internally, etc etc etc i have no axe to grind but i think vaillant have just completely forgotten what they used to be, vaillant used to be an outstanding bit of engineering they where worth every penny as expensive as they where, they where yrs ahead of any competitor on the technology, but now it annoys me to see a cheap nasty glowworm hidden behind a vaillant badge and being sold at vaillant prices :cool:

no mate never been sacked ever please do check tho, just tired of working with yes men, people willing to bend over and take one up the rear just so they can feel like they are good at what they do when really they just havent got the balls to stand up on their own two feet and speak the truth, but im not knocking you i understand its easier to stand there and nod and agree, yes sir no sir tell me how to think sir lol keep up the good work youll be up for promotion sooner than you think :)

vaillant/glowworm supply my local council with free replacement parts due to the high volume of boiler breakdowns within the first 6 months of the boilers being installed, so from my experience with them my opinion is they aint worth a ****

Are these boilers not supplied with a warrantee to be attended by the staff engineers?

Or are they sold so cheap the warrantee is limited to supplying replacement parts?

Tony

no matter how you want to put it, when you've got a range of appliance's that are constantly going down with the faults year after year it isn't a sign of quality, it just shows a manufacturer failing to produce a quality product, and yes they offer a warranty but so they should! seeing as your paying top dollar,

on the up side i do think these boilers are ideal for use in the training sector as trainee engineers will gain a lot of experience fault finding and rectification, and experience in stripping down and re-assembling

we all have our own ideas and opinions and i base mine on experience,

you looking for a free vaillant t shirt are you lol well good luck to you mate, and dont get me wrong the the vessel aint made by vaillant or glowworm but there are many other badly made components that make a vaillant/glowworm boiler, like sani blocs that are proned to splitting the flue hoods that shrink, the system pressure sensors that fail to give an accurate reading the internal filling link taps that shear off internally, etc etc etc i have no axe to grind but i think vaillant have just completely forgotten what they used to be, vaillant used to be an outstanding bit of engineering they where worth every penny as expensive as they where, they where yrs ahead of any competitor on the technology, but now it annoys me to see a cheap nasty glowworm hidden behind a vaillant badge and being sold at vaillant prices :cool:

no mate never been sacked ever please do check tho, just tired of working with yes men, people willing to bend over and take one up the rear just so they can feel like they are good at what they do when really they just havent got the balls to stand up on their own two feet and speak the truth, but im not knocking you i understand its easier to stand there and nod and agree, yes sir no sir tell me how to think sir lol keep up the good work youll be up for promotion sooner than you think :)
Link taps (isolating valve)that shear off spot on gasman1076
What a ****ty design
I closed on of them and then tried to open it
Guess what it msde a simple job of changing a water pressure sensor and repressurising the vessel a pain in the arse
And by tge way mr gasman gave me great no nonsense advise on that f75 error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back