Fitting new TRVs to all upstairs radiators - is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ensuite radiator has a jammed TRV and is stone cold (all other rads are ok and hot) I've removed the top of the TRV & the pin hardly moves & tapping it with a hammer doesnt shift it.

So, next week, I'm going to drain the rads (have an open header tank system) & fit a new valve. But, it occured to me that while the system is drained, why not fit TRVs to the other 3 radiators located in each bedroom. I now have two infants & their rooms get quite when the central heating is on & wish to regulate the temperature.

Is there a reason when they installed the central heating system in my house that they only installed TRVs to the main bathroom & ensuite radiators & left them off the bedrooms ones?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The radiator in the same room as the room stat should not have a TRV. Ok to fit them on all of the other rads.

So, next week, I'm going to drain the rads (have an open header tank system) & fit a new valve. But, it occured to me that while the system is drained, why not fit TRVs to the other 3 radiators located in each bedroom. I now have two infants & their rooms get quite when the central heating is on & wish to regulate the temperature.

Is there a reason when they installed the central heating system in my house that they only installed TRVs to the main bathroom & ensuite radiators & left them off the bedrooms ones?

Cheers.
If it is a single pipe system then you will need valves that match this. It would explain why they have lockshields upstairs instead of TRV's

Sponsored Links
If it is a single pipe system then you will need valves that match this. It would explain why they have lockshields upstairs instead of TRV's

i think you maybe confused as to how a one pipe system works, even if it was a one pipe system fitting trv's wouldn't make any difference to it (the system not the bedroom temps)

I'm pretty sure its not a single pipe (series) system. All radiators are independant & can be shut off using the Lockshields. If I do this to one of the rads the other still work fine. Plus all rads get hot at the same time; one rad doesnt get hot before the others.

Sorry fellas if my answer was vague about the one-pipe system :oops:

Op, all you need to do is to see whether both radiator valves are tee'd off from a single pipe, or if (hopefully) they are joined to separate pipes (flow and return).

What you say happens will happen on any system - single pipe aren't series in the way you describe. :)

Cant tell if its tee'd off or not as the pipes are built into the wall, but the house is only 15 years old and I would highly doubt that the builders would have used a single pipe system.

btw, i was lead to believe that a single pipe system worked in series & the hot water fed in to the first rad, then the next etc & the last one would get warm not at the same time as the first as it takes time for the hot water to reach it.

Cant tell if its tee'd off or not as the pipes are built into the wall, but the house is only 15 years old and I would highly doubt that the builders would have used a single pipe system.
Armed with that new bit of information. you are most likely right.

btw, i was lead to believe that a single pipe system worked in series & the hot water fed in to the first rad, then the next etc & the last one would get warm not at the same time as the first as it takes time for the hot water to reach it.[/quote]That's true in any system - there will always be a first middle and last that will heat up at different times. Single pipe have a single loop from the boiler and back. Rads are tee'd off this pipe, and it's not true that hot water has to flow through each rad in turn.

A single pipe system has one pipe flowing from and back to the boiler feeding each rad in turn,so when the hotter water goes into the first rad the slightly cooler water from the first rad then goes into the next rad and so on. Meaning that the last rad on the loop suffers with the cooler water from all the other rads, hence the need for a more careful balancing process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back