Glow Worm 30CXI Boiler - Output Capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just moved in to a new house, some of the radiators need replacing, some are missing, I have a glow worm 30cxi combi boiler installed, What is the BTU capacity of this boiler (I have no manual for it) and how do I work out the BTU output of each radiator that I have installed?

Also installed below it is a wired British gas timer, all it does is let me put the boiler on for a fixed amount of time then switch off, Can I buy a wireless programable timer that has a thermastat built in, where if it drops below a certain set tempreture it will kick the heating on, aslo when it hits a certain high it will turn off as well as being programable.

Thanks Keith

Sponsored Links
How many rads will you have in total? For choosing new rads of correct size for the room, use a sizing calculator

http://www.radcalcs.com/

If you want to know the output of your existing rads, take measurement, find out rad type ( single panel, double panel single convector or double panel/double convector), go to Screwfix site, look up rads same size and it will tell you the approx output.

Re. stat. Yes you can replace timer with either wired or wireless programmable room stat with voltage-free connections for the 30cxi. If you isolate mains to boiler, and undo the screws at top of control panel and hinge it down, you will probably see that the existing timer is wired into a double block connector on front left corner of rear of control panel. You will need to remove these, and put the 2 volt-free switching wires in from any new stat.

WIRED STAT
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/d...-day-programmable-room-thermostat-087n740000/

WIRELESS
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-cmt927-wireless-7-day-programmable-room-thermostat/

Hope you got your blue knob for re-pressurising tap underneath boiler. How old is boiler, and has it been serviced?

Your boiler is 30 kW.

Everyone should have beenb using kW since 1970 !

Only dinosaur plumbers who cannot learn anything new still think in BTU.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, 24kw central heating. You can fit a Honeywell Wireless Programmable Stat: 24hr CMT921, 7 Day CMT927.

The boiler power output is 30 kW for hot water.

They set it slightly lower for CH because even 24 kW will heat two semi detached houses!

Tony

Your boiler is 30 kW.

Everyone should have beenb using kW since 1970 !

Only dinosaur plumbers who cannot learn anything new still think in BTU.

Tony

Wow , maybe I better go back to college! , just a shame you didn't have the pleasure of ever being one of those dinosaurs , CCC. :LOL:

When changes are brought in like kW to replace BTU, decimal coinage, new road markings etc. then I adapt to the new requirements!

No boiling frog here!

If you drive to Europe you have to adapt to Euro and driving on the right !

Go to HK and you have to eat with chop stix ! Go to Kingsland Street in East London and you have to eat with them too!

Tony

But you only came into the trade recently with no formal training , so you didn't really have to 'adapt' did you?

Tis the ones who constantly put themselves on a pedestal that are the ones who have something to prove....................self praise is no praise. ;).........& yes I also work in Ft and inches along with BTU.

.............and i'm a far better engineer than he is. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re. stat. Yes you can replace timer with either wired or wireless programmable room stat with voltage-free connections for the 30cxi. If you isolate mains to boiler, and undo the screws at top of control panel and hinge it down, you will probably see that the existing timer is wired into a double block connector on front left corner of rear of control panel. You will need to remove these, and put the 2 volt-free switching wires in from any new stat.

I've purchased a CM927 and have found the voltage-free connections but can't work out where to connect the wiring for powering the wireless receiver.

The wiring diagram suggests I should intercept the live feed for the boiler but then feed it back out of the wireless receiver and into the boiler. Can I just put a junction box on the power supply before it actually gets to the boiler? Or is there somewhere on the control board I need to connect it to?

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back