Glow worm compact 100e ch not wkg- advice appreciated pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experts,
I'm in desperate need of some of your expert help please (a friend highly recommended this site). I have a glow worm compact combo boiler 80e in my bathroom.

Problems
The boiler works but when the flame kicks in its only heating the water for about 1 min or less, the radiator light don't come on at all hence radiators don't work, the pressure gauge goes above the No2 marker sometimes towards the 3. when using the hot water it last for about 3 mins then temp drops on it. The boiler doesn't seem to drop to a silent mode either and just now, even though nothings on and the boiler is set to timer the flame kicks in for 30 seconds.

I hope I've posted useful information to give you a helpful clue but if I haven't, pls feel free to ask. I really hope I can solve this with your help.

Many thanks,

Kelly [/list]

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a few mins to look over my post and offer any advice please.
Much appreciated!

I think your boiler has two faults and you should call an RGI.

If you read the FAQ then you might be able to deal with the over pressure issue.

Tony

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tony. I've read through some of your previous replies on 100e boilers. Very useful!
As for your reply, I'm quite practical in nature and following up on your tip on FAQ, I've noticed the overpressure problem is probably caused by the boiler being connected up to the mains water. I'll cap this off or at least my dad will.
I was wondering what you thought the other fault might be? Of course I'll get a professional in if it's not something I can do But just wanted to look like I'm not someone who'd be easy to take advantage of. That's all
Many thanks again!

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Does the hot water light stay on constantly?

If so you are looking at a problem with the dhw flow switch stuck in the on position. This can be due to either a faulty microswitch that has been damaged due to water leak from spindle on the brass membrane cover or the pin isn't retracting fully from dhw demand.

TBH get someone in that knows what they are doing this boiler is very prone to leak problems and not the best pcb on them either.

thank you so much for your helpful post. You are absolutely correct. The hot water light stays on all of the time. The ch light doesn't come on at all and the heating seems to have packed up working altogether!

By the way, I confirmed it is an glow worm compact 80e (not100e).

From reading another post I thought it might be the micro switch pin in the diaphragm but when I started to unFdo the 4 torque screws water started to spray out! So I quickly tightened them up with an intention to ask for help and advice on this forum. I'm studying engineering so as you can imagine, i'm keen to fix this myself if you think its possible for me to.

I was going to ask how to stop the water spray and then how to change the switch unless you think I ought to do something else?

Many many thanks.

Dear All,
if any of you kind souls could help me with the next step I would be extremely grateful! I'm having second thoughts now on whether it was the dhw switch I was trying to open. It does seem like it's the diagphram that is likely to be split or that the pin is sticking. Am I going in the right direction?
I know you guys do this out of the goodness of your hearts and I sincerely appreciate this.
Kindest regards.

I did not see what you were doing so have no idea either.

The first thing is to remove the switch and check that electrically.

Then see if the pin is coming out and then returning.

For some reason the switch is staying activated all the time.

Tony

Dear Tony / Gazdaz,
Thank you soo much for your help and correct diagnosis. It was the brass pin that wasn't retracting fully. I've loosened it up and lubricated it and it works just fine now!
Thank you again, I am over the moon and I absolutely recommend you both and this site!
Regards,
Kelly x

Ideally you needed to drain that part of the boiler and remove the gland and clean the pin of all deposits on the inside of the cover.

Tony

PS thanks for email!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back