How can I improve the appearance of this pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought chrome pipe was used for decorative purposes. Maybe, but the compression elbows don't enhance its appearance! Personally I would prefer painted copper with nice soldered elbows. Anyway I would like to get rid of the chrome 'bolts' and tidy it up. Any suggestions?

The pipes are buried in the wall behind the tiles, so it's not practical to move them. I don't know why the installer didn't run them a bit higher and then go direct to the valves like those in the picture below, particularly as they are so close to the taps; but there you go.

Ideally, I would like to use chrome plated solder fittings, but even if they did exist, I imagine that solder doesn't stick to chrome and they would probably discolour from the heat.

Sponsored Links
Chrome solder fittings do exist, but I have never used them. If you were using them on chrome pipe, you would have to file off the chrome plating where it fits inside the fitting.

http://www.gofixit.co.uk/acatalog/15mm_Chrome_End_Feed_Elbow.html

You could drop the rad down a bit, and use angled valves to go straight into the existing pipes. Trouble is, you would then have holes in tiles from old mountings. If you had some spare tiles, you could break out the holed ones and put new tiles in their place.

End feed CP fittings are available, as stated.
I've supplied tens of thousands of pounds worth which is fitted in Sainsburys and Tescos on waste systems.
One Sainsburys on it's own went well into five figures

The chrome does have to be stripped back and flux and heat can affect the plating, discolouring it a sort of brownish orange.

End feed CP fittings are available, as stated.
The chrome does have to be stripped back and flux and heat can affect the plating, discolouring it a sort of brownish orange.

I expect they were silver soldered?
Then no need to strip the chrome.
I vaguely remember being taught it at college many moons ago but never used it whilst out on the tools.I think the flux we used was Borax ?

Sponsored Links
for normal soldering the chrome does have to be stripped back , you sure your not talking about soldering stainless steel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back