How to find a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a boiler which needs repressurising every day at the moment (although it used to be less often). The plumber put a bag over the blow-off pipe and it has collected water. He thinks there is a leak somewhere. We have checked the radiators and there is nothing obvious there. The house is 4 storeys and 200 yrs old. Any tips on how / where to start looking?

Sponsored Links
Check obvious like damp/wet ceilings. Check rads and obvious pipe routes. It could be anywhere!

I guess I must be. I recall the bag over the blowoff pipe was supposed to be a test to be sure the de-pressurisation was due to a leak in the heating system: if water collected in the bag there was supposed to be a leak in the heating system somewhere as opposed to it being down to some other problem but I can't remember why...

Sponsored Links
Check the basics 1st in that the prv is sound and that the expansion vessel is charged. You may not have a system leak.
Your "plumber" doesn't know what he's doing at a guess!

I guess I must be. I recall the bag over the blowoff pipe was supposed to be a test to be sure the de-pressurisation was due to a leak in the heating system: if water collected in the bag there was supposed to be a leak in the heating system somewhere as opposed to it being down to some other problem but I can't remember why...

If your bag was filling up, and it definitely wasn't rainwater, then pound to a penny it's your pressure relief valve that's passing. Either it's faulty, or may be the system was being over pressurised.

New plumber advisable.

Thanks guys. (How) can I check my PRV is sound myself and that the exp. vessel is charged?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back