how to replace bleed valve on radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

The screw that you turn to bleed my radiator has sheared off so I need to replace the valve. How do I do this? Will I have to drain the whole system or can I isolate the radiator and replace the valve? I have created an albulm with a photo of the valve that needs replaced.

I have a baxi potteron performa system HE boiler. I don't think it's a combi boiler.

Thanks

Joanne

Sponsored Links
So long as you can turn both valves fully off on that rad, then water loss will be minimal.
The big hexagon boss will unscrew, and then you can go hunting for a replacement boss and bleed valve complete.
If you have a TRV on one end of the rad, be aware that they don't fully turn off even when fully clockwise - but a decorators cap screwed on in its place will.
Also be aware that any water spill will likely be inky black in colour, and if it gets on the carpet you won't be too popular!
John :)

Thank you. No TRV on that radiator. Should I use PTFE tape on the threads of the new fitting?

Thanks again for your reply,

Joanne

Sure Joanne, and a little sealant helps too.
Once you've turned the radiator valves off (the lockshield one may have a plastic cap on it, fixed with a screw or just a push fit) then start to unscrew that hexagon boss. There will be a few drips but wipe them away, and don't panic - if you don't like the job, you can nip the boss back up again and no harm done.
I usually turn the valves off just a tiny fraction more with a spanner, but go carefully!
There's also a chance you can bleed the rad from that boss, but obviously the little brass valve is better.
Good luck on the hunt for a replacement - personally I don't recognise that particular radiator but maybe others will.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I'll hold off till I get tape. What sealant should I use, and where? Ian, i actually got the part from this site. The 3mm part is the same size as on my radiator.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

Joanne

I wouldnt worry too much about using sealant, PTFE tape on its own will be fine, sealant is fine if you have it to hand but I wouldnt go buying a tin/tube just for that one small joint , you will probably never use it again

So update on this post. I isolated the radiator and removed the valve only to find that the part that screws into the radiator is about half the size of the one on the new part. Think I'll have to leave it as I can't find the right size part anywhere :(

Time to visit a few plumbing outlets, Joanne - its most unlikely to see one of these on a shelf.
Try Plumbcenter, PTS and you'll find something eventually. Personally I don't recognise that rad, but someone will.

The house was a new build 5 years ago so the radiators can't be that old. I suppise my other alternative is to try and get the screw out but I dob't want to risk damaging the valve

Resist any temptation to drill - that could end up in tears or a leak...... :p
Try the builders! They'll have an idea of who their suppliers are - they may supply direct from the likes of Myson, etc.

That could be a one eigth of an inch BSP thread - maybe one quarter inch :confused: . it`s available - but as said you`ll need to take the bleed valve with you to a merchants.

isolate both sides of the radiator
undo the plug/beed screw

you should have a little bit of water come out so put a old towel there to catch the water.
take it to a plumbing mechants not b&q ect

I have the 1/8" and the part that screws into the radiator is too big. I'll have a look fir lical merchants and see what they say

Take a picture on your phone and take it to the merchants, or even a local scrapyard. Your'e radiator is a myson rolltop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back