Humming noise. Flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
aaaa.jpg

I've been having problems with a humming noise after having central heating installed a couple of weeks ago. I've switched off the boiler tap, the boiler itself and the main switch so it kills everything.

Needless to say, I still have the humming noise, and it's worse at night when there is no other noise in the house or outside.

We have lived in this house since December 1999, and never had this problem before, just since the central heating was installed. It's a Main Combi Boiler, I think it's a 30kWt.

The picture at the top of this post shows a picture of our flue, and the condensing pipe sticking out of the bottom of it. I've been told this is normal by the installer, but surely this might be causing the problem after ruling everything else out?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Sounds (no pun intended) that the circulation pump may be constantly running. As to the condensate pipe location - "normal" my 4rse. Someone is pulling the wool over your eyes because he couldn't be bothered to do the job correctly. No manufacturer would suggest such an installation as part of their procedure. In fact may I suggest he shows you the manufacturer's instruction to do it that way.

Perhaps it is just happy about being a heating system :LOL:

One serious note, I'm not a gas safe fitter but I know enough to judge, that can't really be the condensate pipe can it ? ? ?

Yes - it is the discharge hose of the pump.

Installer was a twart.

But then I suppose it is par for the course for a Main installation.

As for the noise?

Dunno.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back to me everyone, I really appreciate it. As for the noise, I'm clueless as to where it may be coming from. I have my hopes that it may be something to do with the piping under the flue, as I had my doubts, and now know, this isn't normal procedure.

I was dumbfounded when I realized that the condensate PVC cable coming from the Boss Condensate Pump, that is installed next to the Main Combi Boiler, was allowed to be left like this, especially as I've learned it is illegal to have leaking acidic water on a public footpath and not down a soil pipe. It would also leave a white-like substance on our roof. The Combi Boiler was not purchased by us, it was purchased by our landlord, who had someone come round and install all the central heating in just over 11 hours on a Saturday. Another worrying thing is, we have absolutely no paperwork whatsoever, no certificate of compliance, no gas safe certificate and the warranty form on the back of the Combi Boiler book wasn't filled in. We are in a pickle, because reporting this gas fitter will open up a can of worms with the Gas Safe company, HSE and Tax Man etc.

I know we have a right to a free Gas Safe inspection, who likely realise right away this not a legal install. We just don't know what to do for the best, we just want to know that the boiler etc is 100% safe.

Thanks again for all the replies, and please keep them coming!

As for the condensate pump constantly running, I have no idea, it doesn't make a noise, which is why I believe it's the PVC cable sticking out of the flue on the roof that is the offender.

If you switch the boiler completely off then it can't be the condensate or any other pump. A humming noise could be wind acting on the flue like blowing in the top of a beer bottle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back