Ideal HE24 boiler flashing FH..no heating or hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Last night i bled the upstairs rads as they were only warm at the bottom.
The pressure dropped to zero and I put it back up to 1.5,the boiler made some clunking noises while doing so and the casing felt hot.
Now when i turn on it flashes 0 then 4 a couple of times and then just flashes F and H continuously.
I have had a local heating engineer round and he did not seem to know and said it was probably the PCB.He said it would cost £180 for that and £50 to fit.Does this sound right? Don't want to pay all that and it not even being the PCB.
I just need help as we have a 2 year old and it is could!!
Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
Be cautious. There is an entire population of RGI's who consider changing the PCB as a remedy for every boiler problem. As a comparison I've had to change two (one of which had been damaged by a tampering fool) and had two repaired since 2002. I know that's very lucky but still makes the point.

Flashing H and F means one of two things:

1. Faulty flame detection electrode (cheap).

2. Faulty PCB (not cheap).

Make sure the repairer checks 1 before assuming 2!

Another point to remember is that most of the MI's fault finding flow diagrams seem to always lead to 'replace PCB', which is why I try not to use them any more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys! What is my next step? How can i tell if it is the electrode or not? If it is the PCB then i will buy one and fit it myself.

When having a boiler installed the 3 pieces of literature the consumer gets are.

1. The sales brochure (detailing the specification to help with choosing).

2. The user instructions (containing info on how to operate it and advice on DIYable intervention).

3. The installation & servicing instructions (left with the user, for a visiting competent person's reference).

You shouldn't be attempting work not described in 2.

Only had the house 6months and have no paperwork! I have read that i can change the PCB as i am not messing with the gas.
I just don't know where to go with this.I don't want to pay a guy and extra £120 for something i could do myself or might not even be the problem in the first place.

You don't know what parts you need, if any, so how can you save playing roulette with expensive components? You don't know what does or doesn't constitute work on a gas fitting. But if you've read somewhere that you are competent, it's your boiler.

He said it was the orange unit that need changing and all you do is unclip it and replace.Should i get several plumbers round to assess it?

I am not trying to be funny here I just want to heat my house but do not have money to burn!! I am asking serious questions,not trying to rub you up the wrong way.I just want my Daughter to be warm.

However easy it seems, honourable your intentions or skint you are. It is not advisable for you to DIY repairing your gas boiler. Your original post asked about the validity of a tradesman's diagnosis. From your description I cast doubt over his fault finding ability (gas regd, or not). That does not qualify you to do the same.

Remember you had heating & hot water before you tried the first time and that was a DIYable task.

Fair point mate and I agree.I have someone else coming round tomorrow for another opinion so will see what happens.
It's just frustrating when it happens on a Sunday and i'm at work tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back