installing dual fuel range- gas hob.... work expected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, we are having a dual fuel range delivered shortly and i am currently ringing round for quotes.

because i like to understand a job before i ask someone to do it, i would like to ask your advice on what i should expect the job to entail.

i have don a bt of reading round and have confused myself a bit!
RE 22mm, 15mm piping , fixed copper pipe, flexible hose ,shutoff valve etc

basically we have a gas boiler and currently a electic oven and hob.

what should i expect to be done to install our dual fuel stove ( gas hob, electric oven)?
would we expect fived piping to be teed off existing and then flexible hose for to connect the gas to the hob of the stove?
would we expect to have a shut off handle ( isolation valve) for the gas to the hob.. and what safety checks to would we expect to be carried out in respect to the installation and the effect on the boiler

i pefer to know these things in advance so that i can keep an eye on the job!

many thanks in advance
Nik

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe to a wall bayonet connection,4ft (preferably)flexi-hose to cooker.
Wall bayonet incorporates a shut off valve for disconnecting the cooker for cleaning etc.
Stability bracket or chain fitted to rear of cooker.
Tightness tests carried out before and after fitting the cooker.Gas rate of cooker checked.
Boiler should be fine but best for engineer to check operation before and after.
Use a gas safe engineer and make sure he is qualified to work on ranges.
I would normally charge around £85 pounds to fit a cooker,which includes up to 1m of pipe and all fittings.

Thankyou so much for your reply Macfudd.. thants exactly the information i needed:)

With quote too , if you were in kent the job would be yours :D :D

hi there,

i pefer to know these things in advance so that i can keep an eye on the job!

Nik

Customers like that are those which many of us prefer to avoid!

The going rate in Dundee seems very low!

I quote £65 to supply and fit a new hose to the new cooker and connect to an EXISTING bayonet socket. Thats a very low price but still I am told its too expensive by some people! But for about 70% its the lowest and they call me back.

Where a new gas supply and bayonet socket is required as well I would charge about £90-£150 depending on how close the nearest suitable gas supply pipe is. More probably if a connection under the floor is needed!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Three things:

1) £85 is too cheap IMO. Why give stupid quotes, knowing you are not local? it lowers the client expecations, and just gives him something else to moan about

2) I'm glad I won't be recieving an oportunity to quote. This is likely to be a customer from the Lower Regions. There will be several guys wasting there time and deisel to look at a poxy cooker fit.

3) Tony: It can take an age just to ASSEMBLE these things. How can you do all that for £65, including a hose and 20% VAT.? And why would you want to?

The £65 is just for a standard gas cooker.

Its intended to be a low price to discourage DIY work and because hopefully future boiler/heating repairs might follow.

Remember thats when there is an existing bayonet socket already fitted.

Tony

expertgasman";p="2171589 said:
2) I'm glad I won't be recieving an oportunity to quote. This is likely to be a customer from the Lower Regions. There will be several guys wasting there time and deisel to look at a poxy cooker fit.

From the lower regions ??

dont like your attitude much expertgasman... you obviously think" a poxy cooker fit" is beneath you!

Its intended to be a low price to discourage DIY work and because hopefully future boiler/heating repairs might follow.

i can understand that Tony.. and its exaclty that approach/attitude that will keep people on your client list!

There is a boiler service/repairs in the running with this poxy cooker fit too! ;)

From the lower regions ??

HELL!!

dont like your attitude much expertgasman... you obviously think" a poxy cooker fit" is beneath you![/quote]

You will notice that you received only one positive response. But let me explain my comments. £85 less VAT is £70.83. Copper tube is £2 per metre now, - and we don't know how much you need - 4' flex and valve £11.57, from a well known supplier. A few fittings, maybe stability bracket if it is not supplied, and the most you can expect to make is £50 - £55 LESS overheads. A range cooker requires assembly, and is not a short job. Do we need to go through cabinets etc. the list of unknowns is endless, which is why I say that Macfudd shouldn't raise (or lower!) expectations. He cannot see the job.
(Also Throw in and considerthe possibility of you claining for torn flooring - it happens )
So, fitting cookers IS a poxy job, because clients like you expect us to visit, give you a written quote, and you use that to try to beat down the next guy.

And I haven't started on the paracticalities. Do you KNOW that you have correct ventilation and clearances to cupboards? Probably not, but you will pick the brains of the guys who spend their time and deisel to educate you.

Heres another guess - you looked at the cooker in a showroom, and discussed it with an assistant, and then bought it off the 'net.?

All in all, that is why I stopped doing POXY cooker fits years ago.

And, Tony, why buy work. And it is not your problem if a DIYer fancies a go - certainly you shouldn't work for peanuts! And if this fantasy about further work is so succesful, how come you are never at work? The OP is already dangling the carrots, but I bet he will still phone around when the time comes.

1) £85 is too cheap IMO. Why give stupid quotes,

Your opinion in this means sfa to me,£85 is IMO a reasonable price for about an hours work including the materials required,if it`s outwith my hometown(not Dundee)then travelling time would be added.

Customers like that are those which many of us prefer to avoid!

As long as you are confident in what you`re doing and you do know what you`re doing why would you care about a customer keeping an eye on the job.

£85 less VAT is £70.83. Copper tube is £2 per metre now

I don`t charge VAT and as I said my fee includes up to 1metre of pipe.Anything else is outwith the initial fee and will be discussed with the customer,usually on the phone so I have a rough idea what im facing.

. A range cooker requires assembly, and is not a short job

Not necessarily true,I`ve installed ranges which take barely longer than a standard cooker and nowadays with dual fuel ones(like the customers)sometimes there`s almost no assembly required.

All in all, that is why I stopped doing POXY cooker fits years ago

Maybe you should stop commenting on other people who do still provide this service then.
The OP was looking for some info on cookers,sometimes it`s hard to get replies to cooker and fire queries on this forum as a lot of the engineers seem more interested in C/H problems.
If you`re just looking to pick a fight,do it in the combustion chamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back