Intermittent sticking taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved in to a new house. The bath took ages to fill and reading on here I realised I likely had taps designed for high pressure on my low pressure system.

I read around and decided old fashioned spindle type taps were what I needed to give me years of easy use. I swapped them myself and felt very proud of myself. The type I got were a mixer with hot and cold taps on the horizontal if you see what I mean. I bought them from B and Q (hope this wasn't my mistake). The tap wasn't hugely expensive and was branded "plumbsure".

They worked perfectly, bath filled much quicker. I thought I was the main man....

However, I get an intermittent problem (has happened with both hot and cold) where one tap will only open a turn or so (ie not as much as the other one) and the flow will be poor. If I go back some time later it will open normally.

It's hugely frustrating! I've had the headgear out one time it stuck, all seemed fine, washer all fine at the bottom and worked when I put it back together - until a few days later....

I can't find the exact tap I bought online, but it looks very similar to this one http://www.tapcentre.com/en/bathroo...om-taps/latitude-u-series-bath-filler-tap.php
All ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to take the headgear out again and take it apart - then give the parts a smear of vaseline ;)

Thanks, have done that and all seems well for now. Taps have only been fitted 2 weeks! I bought "old fashioned" washer type taps thinking that they were a simple tried and tested principle and easy to maintain. They were not that cheap...!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, have done that and all seems well for now. Taps have only been fitted 2 weeks! I bought "old fashioned" washer type taps thinking that they were a simple tried and tested principle and easy to maintain. They were not that cheap...!

Edit - not sure what happened with the double post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back