Kitchen Mixer Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some new mixer taps for the kitchen about 10 months ago. The plumber was a friend of the family but after he left, I noticed that although the taps were firmly fixed to the sink and pipework underneath the sink, the overhanging water tap would move if tapped upwards. After 10 months, I started to get water coming out of what I thought from the base of the unit spilling all over the back of the sink but after asking some chaps at work, I bought a right-angled screwdriver to make sure the screw at the back of the tap was tight, which it was. I adjusted the water pressure on the pipes underneath the sink, but the unit still leaked. The water doesnt appear to come out when the taps are on, its after the water on either tap has been turned off, like its the water that was in the nozzle going backwards, but after leaving dry cloths at the back of the unit all day, I find that they are wet. I'm scared of taking the unit apart but could he either put the 'O' ring in wrong or I need a new unit. Can someone please tell me which route I should take. javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

Sponsored Links
Cheaper mixer taps have one 'o' ring where they swivel from the tap body and sure enough, they tend to leak after a while.
Better quality items often have 2 rings and these are much better.
The swan neck of the taps can be removed (often a grub screw at the back) if you wish to replace the o ring.
The worst scenario is water soaking into the worktop unnoticed and after a while the material will swell and deteriorate.
John :)

Burnerman";p="2186179 said:
Cheaper mixer taps have one 'o' ring where they swivel from the tap body and sure enough, they tend to leak after a while.
Better quality items often have 2 rings and these are much better.
The swan neck of the taps can be removed (often a grub screw at the back) if you wish to replace the o ring.
The worst scenario is water soaking into the worktop unnoticed and after a while the material will swell and deteriorate.
John :)[I think I had better get a better model and get someone else to fit it. Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Some mixer taps (cheaper ones) have a metal collar at the base of the spout, which can also be tightened - if loose, causes the exact problem you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back