Leak after replacing bath shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me as I, unfortunately, know very little about plumbing.

I have replaced the bath/shower mixer and now I have a leak from the hot water bath/shower mixer tap.
I am thinking this could be because pipe tails of the newly fitted bath/shower mixer are shorter and possibly they are too short to properly connect back up. Could flexible tap connector or brass tap extension be a solution?

Here is the picture. I would be mostly grateful for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Have you replaced fibre washers on tap connector? Always replace fibre washers every time taps is renewed.

Should not be a problem if cold connector is ok, is the tail of old taps the same as new?

Daniel.

Thank you, Daniel.
The cold water tap is not leaking. But it has a different type of tap connector.
As for the tails of the new taps, they are shorter than the old ones.
Here is a picture of the cold water tap which is not leaking.

Were you actually able to fully tighten the hot connection? Access is poor at the best of times in situations like these.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John!
I have just got a basin wrench. I will try tightening the connection with it.

Wishing you luck really.....as Daniel has said, use a new fibre washer and make sure the old one has been completely removed and you should be ok. Obviously we cant see how much movement there is in the existing pipes so hopefully there's enough ....it sounds like it!

Good tip:

I usually fit new taps, put the back nut in but leave it loose and replace fibre washer then tight up tap connector, turn on water and if all ok, tight up back nut. :)

You could remove overflow and put to one side, giving you room to see and to tight up.

Daniel.

I did as you said. Replaced washers, applied loads of that white tape, then tightened the hot connection like mad (god its hard with all those pipes in the way, why so many?!).
Anyway, the main thing is it does not leak any more!! So happy and proud of myself :))

Thank you guys!!

Nice one! Its not the first time that a 'quick cosmetic job' becomes a bloomin' nightmare :eek:
Try that with those baths which have the taps in the centre of the long edge, but against the wall......designers of such deserve execution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back