Please help- combi boiler pressure drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a Baxi duo-tec combi 28 HE fitted a couple of weeks ago & the pressure has dropped so the hot water is freezing & no heating! Absolutely nothing in the instruction manual, the how to videos on the Baxi website or videos on Youtube is useful as none of them look like what's under the boiler. How on earth do I repressurise this model? I have an 80 year old in the house who feels the cold so I'm keen to get it sorted ASAP.

Sponsored Links
has the boiler been fitted at a height where you can look undernath without too much trouble?
there is an integral filling loop on small bore pipework on r/h side of centre near the front of the boiler.this has two small black quarter turn valves/handles which need to be turned, one after the other. when the second one is turned you should hear the sound of running water.
they may be easy to turn or quite stiff, depending on your strenght of your hand/fingers
have a look and post back

vrx9pi.jpg

Is it the 2 black rectangles at the back on the right?

great photo
the two blue ones nearer to your good self
an adjustable spanner may be of help if you need to apply a LITTLE leverage to start the movement

Sponsored Links
does it matter which one I turn first or which way since youtube seems to suggest this? Even though I've found nothing that looks like mine I want to be cautious!

not really, untill you start to turn the second one water will not flow
fill steadily untill the pressure gauge arrow is in the middle of the green band
just had another look. start with the r/h handle,cant tell if that l/h handle is already in the open position

no probs , you did all the work.a photo really is worth a thousand words.
now you need to phone the installer and have a chat, tell him whats happened and ask for his opinion/input
the water went somewhere and its usually a leak
remember where you filled to and look at the gauge each morning to see if it is different
this can only be accurate if the boiler is cold, not used.
if you have just put the heating on, have a look at the gauge in 15/20 minutes, it should be higher as the hot water expands.

Hope that it works out a ok. It's getting nippy and no dhw is a real blighter! The installer should have left you with the notes on how to repressurise and vent the system. "User guide" Should you want to remove a radiator as a temporary drain down or full drain down of the system... say, for decorating behind or replacing a radiator, then the appropriate user guide should have been supplied. Where is the boiler located? Ground floor or upstairs!? Has the boiler replaced a vented system boiler? Has the temporary filling loop been left on ...partially open? This may have caused the system to overpressurise... blow off thru the prv and lock out. Essentially... techno speak for why are you posting on this forum instead of contacting your installer to come back and sort it out. is it possible that the ch system may be losing pressure due to an ever so slight leak somewhere else on the system between flow out of the boiler and return back to the boiler?
Just consider these issues should the pressure drop again.
Hope all goes a ok! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back