plumbing pipe questions for an electrical type person

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am doing some decorating and re wiring work at home. and having a plumber round to replace the boiler.

I am going to move a radiator which has pipes in the concrete floor currently. And I am going to drop down the wall from upstairs. and cap off the old ones.

Can I use plastic pipes. if so should i t into the flow and return with copper or plastic t's then when it comes out the cavity at the bottom i intend to use metal so it looks a bit better...

any problems or suggestions on how to do it the best/easiest/cheapest way

Thanks in advance

Rob

Sponsored Links
You can use plastic push-fit or brass compression, It shoudn't matter. Good to use one rad valve with a drain cock built in so you can drain the drops.

I'm confused as to where the electrical type person comes into it.
I thought it was going to be an electrical/earth bonding or continuity query. :confused:

Hello all,

I am doing some decorating and re wiring work at home. and having a plumber round to replace the boiler.

when it comes out the cavity at the bottom i intend to use metal so it looks a bit better...

Rob
Not the cavity of an outside cavity wall surely - You do mean the cavity of an internal stud wall ;) . I`m sure your plumber is a Gas Safe registered engineer , I`d let them do the rad @ the same time - or @ least get a price for the job from them :idea:

Sponsored Links
the electrical type bit means I havent got a problem with wires but I have never done any pipes and stuff yet so its time to have a bash.

The plumber will be Gas Safe bloke once I decide which one to use. But I am trying to keep the cost down as new boilers dont come cheap along with all the other jobs im trying to bring in at under 5 grand.

The cavity will be a boxed in section where the wall rebates as the misses doesnt want pipes running down the wall.

Although there is a cavity on the otherside of the room I could use as there is now an extension along the side and the rads upstairs are near the other side so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Does plastic pipe need and plastic welding compound at all or are they all just compression fittings.

Rob

plastic pipe can be joined with either compression fittings or the company`s own push fit fittings - Beware tho` that JG Speedfit pipe needs a different liner for comp. than pushfit :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back