Potterton promax 15/2HE Noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently did a LLGS at a property with said boiler. All ok on gas check and results as expected. All nice and as per the book. Tenants neighbour collared me on way out and told me that boiler sometimes makes noises like a chugging train. No common thread times of day etc. whilst I was there I had the boiler on throughout and couldn't find anything untoward. Asked neighbour and tenant to monitor and let me know if the problem persisted. Anyway the neighbour has now uploaded a small video to YouTube with problem noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBSgHLKoBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has anyone experienced this before or any idea what might cause it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My first thought is that the boiler seems to be discharging in the direction of the neighbour with far less than the required 2.5 m distance to the boundary!

I have not been able to listen with headphones yet.

Tony

Recently did a LLGS at a property with said boiler. All ok on gas check and results as expected. All nice and as per the book. Tenants neighbour collared me on way out and told me that boiler sometimes makes noises like a chugging train. No common thread times of day etc. whilst I was there I had the boiler on throughout and couldn't find anything untoward. Asked neighbour and tenant to monitor and let me know if the problem persisted. Anyway the neighbour has now uploaded a small video to YouTube with problem noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBSgHLKoBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has anyone experienced this before or any idea what might cause it?

Thanks

Get in The Combustion Chamber and i will help you. Wont post gas advice on a public forum

Sponsored Links
My first thought is that the boiler seems to be discharging in the direction of the neighbour with far less than the required 2.5 m distance to the boundary!

I have not been able to listen with headphones yet.

Tony

There is no such 2.5m 'requirement' to the boundary. That's a recommendation only. IT IS NOT mandatory

Its the figure that the Building Control and EHOs like to work to!

It is/was going to be incorporated into the Building Regs!

Practically if you don't meet it then you are likely to lose any arguments if the LA become involved.

It also features in the :-

http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf

Tony

It's Not going to be in the building regs at all..there are no current plans to amend ADJ in that respect as other legislation covers the issue.

If the flue complies with adj then there is NO redress under building regs! That's a fact.

EHOs may reference the purely recommended 2.5m figure from the exceptions 'guide' when dealing with any statutory nuisance complaints under section 3 of the EPA 1990 but again, that 2.5m is only an advisory and is not always physically possible. You can't say that if you install under 2.5m you're 'likely' to lose any arguments. Not at all really. In fact if you comply within ADJ as said, building control won't be bothered, EHO will agree and then decide if they agree its a nuisance on a case by case basis, high level discharge, what's over the boundary, impact on neighbours, prejudicial to health at all etc? They MAY then agree it needs to be altered, but can't mandate it's 2.5m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back