Question about square immersion heaters...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a very old square tank immersion heater from my flat. After considering the few options of what to replace it with, given that the flat is electric only, I have decided that I'd like to replace it like for like if possible. My grandad was a boiler fitter up until about twenty years ago, and he has told me that he thinks you can still buy these boilers. I can't find any sign of them on the internet though...

The cold water feed enters at the top of the tank, where there is a ball cock regulating the water level. The hot water comes from the bottom of the tank. It is a cube in shape, and fairly small at roughly a metre high...

If anyone knows of a place I could source a new one, I'd be most interested.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
Try googling elson water heaters and if the water comes from the bottom of the tank it could be a thermal store.

Thanks for the replies guys. Funny enough, I just had a look and the tank I just ripped out was made by Elson! Must be a good company if they're still going! Think I'll drop them a line and see what they have to offer! Thanks again chaps!

Sponsored Links
You will get close on a £100 scrap for it

Yes mate, feels like about 25kg... I'll wait until the price of copper goes back up to £4 per kilo! :)

Hi again fellas...

As expected Elson no longer produce anything like what I had there. To be honest, I expected this whole 'finding a new boiler' thing to be a slightly expensive piece of cake, but I really have no clue what to buy...

I'm happy to adjust the pipework as required and change what type of boiler I have, but I just need someone to point me in the right direction, or preferably tell me exactly what I need... What is the difference between open vented and sealed, and which one is right for me?

The link posted by stardanny looks like a good unit. What exactly do I need to take into consideration, other than size, when deciding what to buy?

Sorry for all the stupid questions... :)

I'm happy to adjust the pipework as required and change what type of boiler I have, but I just need someone to point me in the right direction, or preferably tell me exactly what I need... What is the difference between open vented and sealed, and which one is right for me?

Unvented direct cylinder is stored hot water straight from main cold water, no stored cold water tank, give out high pressure hot water at taps. Really good for shower. Need G3 licensed plumber to install it. Also need to install discharge drain for PRV and TRV. Depend on incoming main cold water pressure and flow rate. Best for flat. I would fit this in my flat for great pressure to shower.

Vented direct cylinder is stored hot water fed by cold water tank. Give out low pressure hot water to taps, not good for shower. Easy to install, just a cold supply, hot outlet and an overflow pipe, that all. I would go for this if you happy with current hot water pressure before.

Daniel.

Thanks mate. I was just looking at this one... At 900mm high, it would just about fit into the current space, with about 40mm to spare... Let me guess though, a pipe has to go straight into the top, meaning it's too high..?

We have an electric shower already which is fine, and water pressure was fine before. I want to do it myself so I guess vented is my only option! :)

Thanks mate. I was just looking at this one... At 900mm high, it would just about fit into the current space, with about 40mm to spare... Let me guess though, a pipe has to go straight into the top, meaning it's too high..?

If you mean vent pipe on a fortic cylinder, no, it is build-in. Only cold main supply to top where ballvalve is, hot outlet somewhere halfway on side, overflow near ballvalve at top.

The only issue is with only 40mm gap between ceiling and top of tank is too tight, if ballvalve need repairing. Is there any way you could lower platform down a few inches?

Daniel.

I have two lengths of four by two set into the walls which I was hoping to utilise. It seems that 900 is the smallest height you can get for the copper tanks though... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back