Radiators warm even when central heating switched off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Isar HE24 boiler (not through choice, it was already in the house when we bought it). Yesterday, I reconnected two radiators following some decorating and have been experiencing an odd problem with the central heating ever since. The radiators throughout the house are getting warm (not hot) even when the central heating is switched off. The hot water gets warm but not as hot as it previously did while the boiler seems to 'tick over' more regularly than previously (almost every five/ten minutes). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a faulty motorised valve maybe that's feeding water through both the central heating circuit and the water tank circuit at the same time but I am not an expert. This is of course assuming that you don't have a combi boiler.

That said it is odd that it started after just taking off and putting back on a radiator. Did you change any piping?

The Isar IS a combi and I would suggest that the diverter valve is passing and the rads get warm during the boilers hot water preheat operation.
These diverters often seize and its a relatively easy fix to replace the internal cartridge.

Sponsored Links
The question is

Is it worth repairing?

What will go next on this sbox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back