Ravenheat 802/20 Diverter Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy (difficult ?) is it to change the diverter valve on a Ravenheat RSF 820/20 boiler ? What would be a reasonable price for a plumber to charge and what would BG charge (estimates) ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi there, for a repair guy, its not too difficult, would probably take about an hour if ll goes well. Pricewise, the valve is a standard giannoni div valve costing around £60-£70 and labour 1-2 hours between £50-£70 per hour. so average guy may charge anything from £110 to £220. British gas would charge considerably more unless they are charging fixed cost. Hope this helps. :D

Thanks for the reply . Anyone in the N.E. Lincs/Humberside area that would like to do the job ? :D

6829, dont necessarily expect anyone to do it as cheaply as Andrew and not use the manufacturer's genuine part which is much more expensive. He is probably not VAT registered which also makes him cheaper.

I would expect it to take about 1.25 hours but leave at least two in case it took longer which it often does.

Because its a difficult job which can go wrong I would charge about £196 if using the pattern part.

But in most cases the diverter can be repaired and for that we would charge about £136.

Andrew, many engineers would use the proper manufacturers replacement diverter valve from PC where it would cost more like £145. Have a look at the CC.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have recently replaced the diverter valve on a Ravenheat RSF 820/20 (twice). It took just under an hour the first time but don’t make the mistake I made by buying a valve on price alone. An aftermarket diverter from BES, manufactured by Banico, cost around £25 including the micro-switches. It looks very similar to the genuine Giannoni type F except on closer inspection it is not a copy but a redesign. The fitting was straightforward; all went to plan, no leaks, no bruised knuckles, and after re-pressurising the boiler functioned as it should.

The next morning the nearest radiator was warming up on turning the hot water tap on alone. After a lot of head scratching the diverter was removed. On examination the problem was staring me in the face. The Banico design includes rubber edge seals on two closing plates; both rubber seals had come off and were trapped between the plates and the internal casing, thus keeping the valve open on the heating side. The previously removed original Giannoni has metal to metal contact with a machined seat.

Lesson learnt. Paid £70 for the original diverter, replaced in 40 minutes this time and put the other one in my non-ferrous recycle bin.

Great reply. Do you , or anyone else, want to come and do mine ? (for a small fee of course) :D

Sorry but I am too far from you and no time to spare. However, the job is not too difficult:

1. Gas and electricity to boiler off
2. Cold inlet, flow and return service valves off (they may drip/leak through the screws, this is normal for Ravenheat ones)
3. Front, bottom and side panels off
4. Pull off the C-clip which holds the microswitches to the back of the divereter with long nose pliers
5. Place/tie the microswitches above to keep away from the water which will be released (no need to disconnect the wiring)
6. Release pressure in the boiler with relief valve (bottom right, red knob)
7. Hold a washing up bowl under the boiler to catch the water
8. Loosen all five nuts from the diverter valve a little until all are hand tight
9. Remove the nuts and gently release the connections completely (catch the water in the bowl, about 2 litres)
10. The diverter can be removed from the front or back. The back is easier as there is less to catch between the domestic hot and cold pipes
11. Remove all traces of old washer material from the five pipes
12. Refit in reverse order; make sure to use proper Giannoni washer set (£2.50) as the washer thickness is important when it comes to realignment
13. Flow and return valves may leak until the boiler is run for a few minutes (don’t try to fix it – this is normal for the original Ravenheat ones). :D

DO SHOP AROUND BUT ALWAYS BUY ORIGINAL PARTS :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back