Second Opinion on Pressure Release Valve Replacement Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had a leaky pressure release valve on our Megaflo hot water tank. We have no boiler as such, all hot water is generated by two immersion heaters (on/off peak).

We reported the leak to the building maintenance company (our flat is rented), and after significant scheduling issues which I won't go into here, the valve was replaced last night. The engineer (I use the term loosely) fitted the new valve, tested it by checking for leaks and manually turning the valve, and left.

I then went to run hot water, only to get nothing at all (not even cold water) from the hot side of any of our taps (we only have mixers, one in the kitchen, bathroom and bath/shower combo).

Called the out-of-hours support guys out, only to be told (by two separate engineers no less) that the valve had been fitted the wrong way around, but they cannot fix the problem (and that they're not technically qualified to even diagnose it officially) because they don't carry the UK G3 certificate to work on our type of boiler (unvented?). My questions are:

• Is the valve the wrong way around?
  • What regulatory bodies are there in the UK that I can report the contractors to?
  • Is the current setup dangerous in any way?

Photos of the plumbing layout as left by the engineer are below - I've numbered the pipes to give context across photos.

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

I should point out that the crude line on the last photo is for context, the pipe curves behind the tank.

Sponsored Links
you need to stand further back to take a picture...and the one thing that is not numbered, if the wrong way round, would stop a flow of water..

Yes that is the wrong way round. The pressure reducing valve is set to 3 bar. The pressure relief normally 4.5 or over. It's not dangerous it? Because it's not working. :rolleyes:

you need to stand further back to take a picture...and the one thing that is not numbered, if the wrong way round, would stop a flow of water..

:LOL: I was hoping I could go for more detail spread across multiple photos, but I guess that kinda failed! Out of interest, what isn't numbered? I can take another photo or two later (just settling down to watch the footie!)

Yes that is the wrong way round. The pressure reducing valve is set to 3 bar. The pressure relief normally 4.5 or over. It's not dangerous it? Because it's not working. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the opinion, much appreciated, just trying to get more ammunition to tear the contractors to shreds on Monday :evil:

I know "is it dangerous" is kind of a n00b question, but that's the reason why I'm here - I wasn't sure if the release valve would work properly if the pressure was coming from the opposite direction (i.e. from the side of the valve that should be connecting to the tank, but is in fact connecting to the mains).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back