set back stats on underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told by heatmiser technical that a stat that turns down by 4deg during the night time "off" period will lead to lower running costs than a system that is completely off during that period,if the house is well insulated Is it possible to wire a "master stat" set at say 16deg to bring the ufh system on during the night if there is call for it.Replacing the existing room stats is not an option.
Regards
T

Sponsored Links
yes, but why is replacing the existing stats "not an option" and what make/model are they?

Mattle,
The existing stats use 3 c & e,the Heatmiser setback stats need 4core cable :( Regards,T

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.Dan,if I were to replace all the 8 stats with cm901,s
it would cost over £400 00.I wondered if it would be an improvement just to have one overide stat set at 16deg to bring the system on during the night?
Regards T

I guess you could with some clever wiring. Kind of defeats the purpose though.

I guess this is a classic example of a system not being correctly specified from the off.

i thi k its the industries obsession with zones and controls... UFH can be very efifcient but you need to use compensTion controls and weather compensation in particular..then the flow temp runs along at a few degrees above room temperature...highly suitable for condensing boilers...

not knowing the history of this install its difficult to say...but TEM floor plus controllers, viessmans mixing valve and vaillant mixer module all offer possibilities...

recently I have installed systems with no controls and an out door sensor... the other day the flow temp was 24c...room 21c.

It can be retrofitted, when chaining a boiler...done that too..

You should be able to connect a ‘master thermostat’ in parallel with your programmer CH output so that when the temperature drops below the set-back level it will turn on all zones. This will operate at all times effectively like a frost thermostat so would also be useful for maintaining a background level when you are away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back