Shower keeps going hot and cold...

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just trying to get to the bottom of this problem, hopefully without having to call someone out.

When I run the hot tap to have a bath or shower the water stays hot but when I turn the cold tap on to make the water cooler (for a shower), it keeps going hot and cold, it's really annoying!

I only recently had my boiler serviced and a new diverter valve fitted, it's a Vaillant boiler.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would appear that the drop in water pressure to your boiler when you turn the cold tap on is causing it to cut out. How high do you have your dhw set? How old is your boiler and was it fitted to an existing system? There are a few things it could be so your best bet is to call the person who serviced it and explain your problem. He/she should be able to diagnose what's at fault and put it right. This fault would not have necessarily shown up during a service.

I had a similar issue, I just needed to buy a home booster pump to keep the flow of hot water constant? Maybe a quick fix for this issue too.

No good in this case as its a combi (thars if you mean diverter valve as opposed to a 2/3 port valve).

You have to establish if its the flame dropping out or a faulty mixer tap issue. Set it away and check the flame icon on your boiler.

Okay, I will do a test later to see what happens to the boiler when I run the shower but for now this is an image of the boiler so you can see the settings.

It was installed when the flat was built in 2000.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would turn the hot water temperature down to about 40c. So you won't need cold water when showering. That won't cost you any money, but getting a plumber round = £££$$$!!!

Hi all, not sure if it's relevant to the previous issue but thought I'd post this here in case it is but now all of my dials are turned to the maximum but my hot water is coming out lukewarm and not as hot as it should be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back