Underfloor Heating and Dry Mix Cement + Sand Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The situation so far:
Kitchen 5m x 5m Suspended floors (5 ft).

The beams are quite thin and had supporting wall 1/3 of the way from one end so quite a lot of deflection. So, we went under the floor and built a wooden frame to support the 2/3 of the remaining beams. Also added lots of noggins everywhere. Much more stable now and almost no deflection at all when I jump up and down on the floor.

In between the beams we have some buttons which hold a 50mm insulation boards all tightly fit with supporting sections underneath the links. On top of the 50mm insulation board we have the plastic underfloor heating pipes which are clipped down and that is approx 10mm - 20mm under the floorboards. We have read and are planning on using a dry mix 1:8 cement sand to fill that void.

The problem: The floorboards are useless and are in very small sections all over the place so we decided to remove and replace with 18mm WBP plywood. I am hoping to tile directly on this ply using 60x60 porcelain tiles. I don’t really want to add anything else on the ply to increase the heat loss already absorbed by the ply.

Question:
1. Do you pour the dry mix on completely dry? i.e. powder?
2. Does it ever harden or does it stay powder?
3. If powder, does it act like a radiator as well as wet mix screed? And what is the point of the cement in that case?
4. I presume kiln dried paving sand is best for this mix? The normal sand Wickes had was very damp.
5. WBP Plywood; do I still need to seal edges and underside?

I have looked everywhere to answer these questions but could not find a definitive answer. Called many experts and was amazed to find that they all said different things and most of it sounded wrong. Any advice would be very well appreciated!

Many thanks,
ShyBoy

Sponsored Links
1. Do you pour the dry mix on completely dry? i.e. powder?

- a screed mix is 'semi' dry

2. Does it ever harden or does it stay powder?

- properly compacted/laid screed should not be powerdy. Use SLC to sort out if powdery

3. If powder, does it act like a radiator as well as wet mix screed? And what is the point of the cement in that case?

- the screed is your thermal mass.

4. I presume kiln dried paving sand is best for this mix? The normal sand Wickes had was very damp.

-lots of advice in the construction section on screed mix.

5. WBP Plywood; do I still need to seal edges and underside?

-perimeter insulation is important

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back