Vaillant ecoTEC 831plus and VRC430f weather compensator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful if anyone can assist.

The outside temperature showing on the room thermostat is wrong, showing as warmer than inside the property so it has shut off the system. Valiant tech helpline is closed until Tuesday so I thought that removing the batteries from the thermostat would allow me to control the heating but it hasn't worked.

How can I override it to get my heating on? I have young baby in the house and I'm starting to panic as the temperature is dropping.

Sponsored Links
What is the outside temperature showing on the thermostat then and whats the inside temperature? Do you know what the curve setting is? What happens if you turn the set temperature up to 30 ? Does the boiler show the radiator symbol?

Hello, thanks.

Outside temp on thermostat is 30deg. Inside is 16 deg. Adjusting the temp to 30 on the thermostat didn't work. Turning the dial counter clockwise on the boiler didn't knock off the thermostat so I then took out the batts to override.

The Rad symbol was flashing (anti-cycling?) so in the meantime I went into D.0 and turned up from 9 to 10 and it seems to have worked as rads now heating up but the temp figure showing on the screen of the boiler (thermostat disconnected) has dropped from 45 to 33.

Sponsored Links
30 degrees out side today I doubt it!

both knobs on yhe boiler should be on maximum, the controller does the rest..

have a look at the book and the parameters, to give yourself an idea of the parameters...

only two need altering the heat curve (set it betweeb 1.4 and 2.2) and the other is room sensing whch can be activated so it measures the room temperature...

Sounds like the outside sensor is knackered?
Not sure how to override but you can get some quick heat like this :-

8.4 Test programs
Special functions can be triggered on the appliances by
activating various test programs.
These programs are given in detail in the
Table 8.5.
• The test programs P.0 to P.6 will be started when
“Power ON” is turned on and the “+” key is pressed
for 5 s. The display shows “P.0”.
• Press the “+” key to start counting the test number
upwards.
• Press the “i” to operate the appliance now and to start
the test program.
• Press “i” and “+” simultaneously to exit the test programs.
You can also exit the test programs by not
pressing any key for 15 minutes.
Display Meaning

P.1 Test program where the appliance is operated in full
load after successful ignition

30 degrees out side today I doubt it!

both knobs on yhe boiler should be on maximum, the controller does the rest..

have a look at the book and the parameters, to give yourself an idea of the parameters...

only two need altering the heat curve (set it betweeb 1.4 and 2.2) and the other is room sensing whch can be activated so it measures the room temperature...

Thanks, both the knobs were on full. I do think that the sensor is knackered, but it's only 2months old... Can I adjust the thermostat to ignore the broken outdoor sensor? Is this what you mean by room adjust?

it could have just lost communication, take ot off the wall and re boot it...then read the signal strenght in the installer screens....

alternatively get the installer back...

it could have just lost communication, take ot off the wall and re boot it...then read the signal strenght in the installer screens....

alternatively get the installer back...

No signal on the outdoor receiver so it looks like something is bust.

I can't get the installer back, friend (gas safe registered) installed boiler for us but he doesn't normally work with vaillants so didn't install controls - it was our electrician who'd never seen anything like it.

Valiant tech support not open until Tuesday. :(

How do I override the thermostat?

Just link 3 and 4 on terminal strip in boiler to get you by till it gets sorted.

I've not got a scooby doo what that means :oops:

I've managed to get it working off the boiler controls by using a factory reset which seems to have suspended the link between the radio controls and the boiler.

How are vaillant customer service for replacing knackered parts?

If ur not confident in linking 3-4 on the boiler terminal block then press the minus and plus at the same time this will give u 15 min of heat approx at a time to warm u up a bit, try not to use the hot water while it's in this engineer mode

Just link 3 and 4 on terminal strip in boiler to get you by till it gets sorted.
Link 3-4 will already be linked for ebus controls and so wont make any difference.
Where is your weather compensator situated?
Sounds like you might have water or condensation in it.
I suspect it is the wireless photovoltaic version and so is probably accessible. If it is, you can remove it from the wall by using a flat blade screwdriver and placing it in the slot underneath whilst pushing the unit upward. you will need to use a little force but don't overdo it. Once removed press the little red button on the back. It will try to pair with the controller but will fail. Once it has failed, the outdoor temp on the controller will default to -50 and then the controller allow heating as it will assume you are living in the sub Arctic.
This will at least get you by for now.
If your boiler is under warranty, call Vaillant service and they will book an engineer visit with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back