Water hammer/low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have recently had a new electric shower fitted. However since turning the water back on, there is a knocking sound (which I assume is water hammer) whenever we turn the kitchen tap off, but the shower pressure is fine. However if we turn the stop cock off slightly the hammer goes but the shower pressure is affected when toilets or taps are used...
Is this an easy fix?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check all valves to see if any are dripping if one is then replace it. Failing that are any of your tap's dripping? If one is then replace washer/cartridge.

Is the shower a complete install or just a replacement shower on existing pipework?
If new pipework, is it fitted correctly, i.e. clipped properly and not loose?

Tell the installer that you've now got water hammer since he fitted the shower, which you never had before.

Thanks for the replies
Yes it is a replacement shower (the same 8.5kw) on existing pipework, so I'm unsure if it is to do with this or not.

I am wondering if the problem might lay at our stop cock as there is a slight leak coming from it when it's slightly open, but fine when fully open, I asked a plumber and was told it is normal for stop cocks to leak slightly when not fully open(?!)
:confused:

Sponsored Links
lol as I suspected :mad:

So, is fixing a stop cock an easy job for a novice?!

A mini expansion vessel or shock arrester will cure the water hammer.

Cheap fix.

Jim

Sorry for the gap between posts, but just wanted to say thank you for the replies and to Charnwood/Andy for the vid link, that was very helpful and I tightened the gland nut which seems to have helped, I may still re-pack it though to be extra sure! Still need to sort the water hammer issue upstairs but I think that expansion vessel may just be what it needs, I don't know if that is something I dare attempt myself though.. :oops:
Thanks again guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back