What will be better powerflush or Magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a old conventional boiler system (maybe 20yrs+) Stelrad Mexico slimline. I know there is some amount of sludge in the system and I plan to get a new system installed maybe next year as recently bought this place so shortage of funds. This is a 2 bderoom ground floor flat with 5 rads of different sizes. Recently installed a brand new stelrad double panel single convector rad 600mm x 2000mm (the biggest in flat) and even that is comparatively warmer on top.

The current system takes more than normal time for all rads to heat and all rads are warmer on top. People have suggested a superflush on the system but also said that since I plan to get a new system in a year or so, it no point spending as it will be done again when putting in a new system.

I am contemplating fitting in a magnaclean system to catch the sludge, which can hopefully be also refitted into the new system whenver that happens. Do you experienced ones think that this is the right way to go about it or would I be better off doing a superflush now.

Pls do ask if any more details are needed to give a well informed reply

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A Magnaclean is spectacular at collecting black sludge, provided it is loosened with a cleaning chemical such as X400, but after a year or two they tend to drip or leak as the materials and valves are not very good.

You can expect better service from the Sentinel, Fernox or (my favourite) Spirovent products. They all cost round about £100.

If you are going to have it flushed next year when you change the boiler, you could start by having a filter fitted, and adding sentinel X400 which is a mild cleaner that you can leave circulating for 4 weeks with the system in normal use. It will loosen the sediment and your filter will capture the loose particles (you will have to empty the sludge out of the filter every week). You should drain out the dirty water at the end of 4 weeks, rinse clean, and refill using a corrosion inhibitor such s Sentinel X100 to prevent future corrosion. The chemicals will cost about £15 each. By then most of the particles will have gone so the filter will not need emptying so often. Try once a month to check there is not much in it, then once or twice a year.

If circulation is poor even after cleaning, you may need a new pump, or it might just be clogged with sediment.

A Power Flush, done properly, will be even more effective, but will cost some hundreds of pounds.

They are two different things and not alternatives.

In an ideal world power flush and then fit a Magnaclean!

Tony

They are two different things and not alternatives.

In an ideal world power flush and then fit a Magnaclean!

Tony

I an ideal world I should probably get rid of the old boiler and get a new one.. :D Just trying to save some money by not having to so powerflush twice and still get max possible heat out of my old system. :oops:

Sponsored Links
well get on with the chemical clean then. It will do nothing but good and will cost little.

a mains flush is as good as a power flush, and a magna booster is better than a magna clean...

if you are not changing the boiler, which you will do one day, then the magna booster is a good starting point as it will give you a clue as to how much dirt is in the system , and start collecting it..

then when you change the boiler you can easily flush through with the mains before filling the new boiler!

Alec's Magnabooster is made by Spirotech, it's the one I was thinking of. Substantial brass construction.

As an end user I have found that using X400 in a system that has had no attention for several years works quite well.

I have a handful of properties and have just had one boiler replaced. After seeing what has come out of the system my next move is to run X400 in each system for around a week then drain it down. I am also thinking of fitting those Magnacleans in them all as well.

I did have a couple of problem radiators that played up after the X400 flush. I simply removed them and flushed them out with a hosepipe at home.

Currently I've got another bottle of X400 running around the system with the new boiler. In a week I shall be draining that down, running it for a day with clean water, re drain and then add a bottle of inhibitor.

a mains flush is as good as a power flush, and a magna booster is better than a magna clean...

if you are not changing the boiler, which you will do one day, then the magna booster is a good starting point as it will give you a clue as to how much dirt is in the system , and start collecting it..

then when you change the boiler you can easily flush through with the mains before filling the new boiler!

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a mainsflush and how it is dirrerent than powerflush

I am overwhelmed with all your help, thanks to you all for your valuable comments.

I have a handful of properties and have just had one boiler replaced. After seeing what has come out of the system my next move is to run X400 in each system for around a week then drain it down. I am also thinking of fitting those Magnacleans in them all as well.

If you had wanted to use it to best advantsge you would be?leaving it in the system for at least four weeks and ideally five!

Alternatively you would use X800 for just four hours!

Tony

It looks like I've wasted my money.

Like a fool I went and bought three Norstrom proflush machines, two with heaters, costing £3600.

As an installer I thought I was doing the right thing, but this thread points out that connecting the mains is far more effective.

Looks like I can do a much better job using cold mains water at a typical flow rate of 18 litres per min.

These Proflush machines only push up to 90 litres per minute of heated water round the system, must be useless.

I'll sell them immediately. Very bulky too, I'll be able to turn up in an estate car now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back