Advice needed over slates for 30 degree pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help please?

We have a 30 degree pitch roof which is covered with Brazilian slate. The slate is laminating and flaking, even though it was only put on two years ago. The retailer says that the supplier is refusing to be held liable as the pitch is outside its recommended limits, even though the problems are not being caused by the pitch.

The retailer is offering to pay for re-roofing in an alternative, however they say that none of their natural slates are suitable for this pitch, and therefore if we choose one of these, we will immediately invalidate any warranty.

Our planning permission states that we have to use natural slate and therefore any alternative items will need a variation of that permission.

Are there really no natural slates which can be fixed at a 30 degree pitch?

If the hanging system is wrong or needs amending to take a natural slate at this pitch, is our builder therefore partly liable?

Sponsored Links
Someone is BSing you. Slates can go from about 20° up to vertical assuming they are gauged correctly.

Yes I had realised that :D

The question is who...

I have a product specification showing how the slate meets the relevant BS however this doesn't say anything about pitch. Do you know where I can find the necessary data to show that tiles can be fixed to a 30 degree pitch?

Sponsored Links
Can someone help please?

We have a 30 degree pitch roof which is covered with Brazilian slate. The slate is laminating and flaking, even though it was only put on two years ago. The retailer says that the supplier is refusing to be held liable as the pitch is outside its recommended limits, even though the problems are not being caused by the pitch.

The retailer is offering to pay for re-roofing in an alternative, however they say that none of their natural slates are suitable for this pitch, and therefore if we choose one of these, we will immediately invalidate any warranty.

Our planning permission states that we have to use natural slate and therefore any alternative items will need a variation of that permission.

Are there really no natural slates which can be fixed at a 30 degree pitch?

If the hanging system is wrong or needs amending to take a natural slate at this pitch, is our builder therefore partly liable?

You do not say if your slates are hook fastened or nail fastened also which is the original company that supplied the slate, If you can supply the answers it will make your question easier to answer

I think that Brazilian slates prove the saying"you get what you pay for"

The colour is nice they look good when laid, but the quality of the slate is rubbish . 25x12 about a pound what can you expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back