Flat Roof Leak repairs in the rain

psa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have noticed with all the heavy rain that my flat roof has leaked in two different places. The roof has a 10 year leak proof guarantee.
I have called out the company, who provide this guarantee, to sort out the leaks but they have told me that they can only do it once the rain has stopped and everything has dried out.
Is this true? Can nothing be repaired in wet weather?
I'm concerned that if I wait for a couple more weeks greater damage will be done.

Thanks to all in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what roof covering you have, and if its only a small defect that can be dried and repaired.
You might have to ask them to chuck a sheet over temporary.

• Thanks
Reactions: psa
The roof covering is as follows (this I'm quoting from the guarantee paper):
"three layers in hot bitumen, two coat glass bonding. Top coat or cap sheet Glasstex green mineral with silver solar finish"

The leaks are not too bad and I did suggest a sheet covering but that was brushed off. I guess I will need to ask again about the sheet or maybe do it myself.

Thanks again

A roof like that shouldn't leak in 20 years - never mind two leaks already.

I can see you having problems for years to come if it has been done badly - and it seems it has.

• Thanks
Reactions: psa
Sponsored Links
Thanks Joe

The work was carried out 6 years ago, so now this has me worried that it is already leaking.
If I have a written 10 year no leak guarantee, am I within my rights to ask to have it re-done?
Would it be worth getting a surveyor to inspect it?
I would like this sorted out first time round.

The fact that they've used the cheapest materials available doesn't bode well, however, at least they appeared when called. A 20 minute dry spell and a gas gun should see it fixed. And you don't put a solar coating on a mineral finish :confused:

With any "no leak guarantee" there is an obligation to effect a temporary repair if the full repair can't be done for whatever reason

A tarp sheet, or some product like Acrypol can be applied in the wet to anything obvious.

To properly investigate the possible leak, it would need to be dry though

Any leak of a bitumen flat roof with 10 years, is most likely to be a quality workmanship issue, and nothing else

Top coat or cap sheet Glasstex green mineral with silver solar finish?

green mineral with a solar paint finish.. new one on me. .. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back