Health and safety on the roof

Sponsored Links
Hi. Yes, if you are employing people to carry out the work. Guard rails are required. Your local scaffolder will be better placed to advise you. Good Luck

i do chuckle when h&s issues are disputed regarding roofing work.

whilst i agree 100% that scaffold should be used where applicable and use ladders when a scaffold or ally tower is impractical, tradespeople will still take risks regardless of whether they have scaffolding or not.

we pitched our roof up today. lovely scaffold all round the building. but, in order to insert the ridge-board between the rafters we had to work off a pair of doubled up timbers strung across the wall-plates. :eek:

ok, we may have only fallen onto the first floor joists, but it is a long way down from wall plate to the ground floor concrete below. :eek: :eek:

Aye, it is difficult to get it right and at times risks will be taken (preferably not by me - I'm fragile).

Couldn't in good conscience watch some young lad risk his ability to walk just because he wants to be able to take his girl to the cinema.

If there was serious accident i'd never forgive myself...

(Not for a couple of hours anyway)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
being extra cautious as far as h&s is concerned can have negative effects.

wrapping us all up in cotton wool, allowing us not to take risks, preventing people from being aware of danger, blunting our senses, these are the qualities h&s instill into the British workforce.

good in 99% of cases.

there will be instances however when some workers will visit a workplace that is not all that safe. he may be doing a job on the side, helping a friend, working abroad and the safety cell simply will not be there.

i used to take some bonkers risks as a youth, being fit and invincible.

not these days though. too many mouths to feed and lousy fitness. :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back