New build use of felt support trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The trays I'm going to use on my new build extension are 200mm deep. Should I trim them so they're just the right length to butt up against the first batten?

I don't like the idea of using them as is - by nailing them under the first batten - because it'll make maintenance difficult in future and feels like they may push the felt tight up under the batten and inhibit water flow to the gutter.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
If using slates then you can keep the bottom batten higher than the top of the eave tray by having a longer eave slate and holing the first slate higher up to accommodate. When using 16" slates for instance I would place the secondary 'eaves batten' above the first batten instead of below it, this will allow enough room to install the eaves tray without causing a trap.

If you're using large concrete tiles then there won't be an issue.

If you're using plain tiles then don't use plastic eaves trays, use some 5U felt instead.

I'm using plain tiles. I've already purchased the trays, so even though they may be overkill I may as well use them.

For what it's worth, the existing house has been retrofitted with similar trays that have been cut in half and slid up against the first batten.

Gary,
You have dropped a clanger.
Beth the Slate is right, you should be using 5U felt for plain tiles.
If you have bought support trays then cut them down and fit them, but they are not intended for plain tiling.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
You may as well use them, cut them down. they are dead flat and thin are'nt they? Not like built in vented ones which raise the tiles 10mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back