New roof for a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently in the middle of our fairly large refurbishment project which involves converting the loft of our bungalow.

We've decided we need to get a new roof – the old tiles are over 90 years old and many becoming porous. Plus it has old, non-breathable felt and some of the batten starting to rot at the bottom. So rather than trying to patch it and putting in vent tiles or whatever, it seems sensible to just re-felt and batten, new tiles.

(1) Do we need a dry ridge system? Or is it enough to just have modern, breathable felt (i.e. Roofshield).

(2) We've got a quote from a recommended roofer which is a bit more than I was expecting. He gave an initial quote, then later it suddenly jumped up by £500 because he said he forgot to add in the cost of the scaffolding. Was wondering if I should try to get some salvage value off the old clay tiles. This has not been mentioned in his quote (just says "disposal of rubbish"). If I say "I want to keep the old, decent tiles and sell them" is that fair enough or likely to annoy him?

Sponsored Links
Get another quote, if he changes things before he starts the job what's he going to do later on?

Talk to your roofer about the tiles before you accept his quote then at least you both know where you stand

You need to look at your plans & speak to your building inspector to discuss ventilation. Make sure your roofer has included for the extra cost of the ridge kit

The whole point of using a breathable membrane is that no other kind of ventilation is required. Provided its installed in accordance with the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Ref the salvage, the simplest and best thing to do is ask the guy before he has started. Very likely they will be worth bugger all anyway..

The whole point of using a breathable membrane is that no other kind of ventilation is required. Provided its installed in accordance with the instructions.

Not all building authorities agree. Some still want cross ventillation
It's always best to check!
Then they don't understand and just need someone who knows what they're talking about to make them understand.

I rang the Building Inspectors and they said a dry ridge is not required for the roof, although they would recommend getting one anyway, for maintenance reasons.

I asked my roofer about it and he reckons a wet ridge is fine. He said as long as you take care to get exactly the right cement mix, and dust down the tiles before sticking, etc then it will last a really long time, no problem.

However, a couple of other builders I've spoken to (one of them a roofer) said a dry ridge is probably better.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe my roofer. What he says kind of makes sense to me. What I'm not clear about is whether there are any downsides to a dry ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back