Roof Structure - More advice required, please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly thank you for everyone who reads and constructively comments on this forum, its a great read and full of helpful people.

Could anyone of you comment on the photos I have attached, basically I am having a hip to gable conversion done on the roof of my bungalow. I come home tonight to find a lot of the new roof structure built, then I find this.

Basically they have cut down the existing rafters and nailled the new rafters to them, existing are approx 100x50mm and new are 150x50mm.

My question is, is this acceptable? Is it a bodge, would it pass a building inspection?

or am I worrying about nothing?

DSC01084.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

DSC01081.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

I hope the photos and my query are clear enough, I realise there will be an ashlar wall in place but it still feels a bit bodgy to me.

Thanks for your input.

Neil

Sponsored Links
The new rafters should bear onto the wall plate.

If there is an engineer involved, get his opinion, or else get the BCO to see this before it's covered up

Agree with woody. When I've seen or indeed had to repair timbers in such a way then the two timbers are connected with bolts at around 400mm centers at the very minimum, but ask the engineer or bco as stated.

Very poor, as already said. I personally would not accept it, and your building inspector will not either..or shouldnt, interesting to se what happens with the new floor joists

Sponsored Links
Why have you left it so late to query it? They won't be happy.

Thanks for the responses, I am going to go down this is unacceptable route.

Joe 90 these were only put in yesterday afternoon, so I queried with the builder within hours of them going in. So I am not sure where you got the late bit from.

Thanks

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back