slate roof photo - how long will it last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought a terraced house in west yorkshire last year. It has the original slate roof. Only one of the other houses has had a new roof put on. The rest (about 30) still have original slate.

I got up on the roof to fix some dodgy guttering and took a photo to see what state the roof was in.

I did have a roofer round (who did a bad job on the guttering, that I later on fixed) who said the whole roof would need replacing soon. I'm looking at moving in 2 years so I really would like some advice on what state the roof is in and what my options are.

Thanks, View media item 50075

Sponsored Links
Looks great. No slippage from nail corrosion that I can see.

I've tried rubbing the monitor to see what the slates are like, but it's just not happening

Sponsored Links
The rest (about 30) still have original slate.

I did have a roofer round (who did a bad job on the guttering, that I later on fixed) who said the whole roof would need replacing soon. ]
Your options are - read the bits I`ve edited - have a drink and repeat after me " many roofers are P*keys" :mrgreen: I`m allowed to say that cuz I`m a pi*ey plumber - and us plumbers use to do gutters - until the roofers took that job :mrgreen: . Chill , save your money and sell when you`re ready l

I was concerned that it wouldn't last the winter but I'm glad to get some good replies!

Is there any steps I can take to make it last longer?

I was concerned that it wouldn't last the winter but I'm glad to get some good replies!

Is there any steps I can take to make it last longer?

No, leave well alone. When it reaches the end of its life (ie when the nails have corroded) it will need replacing.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

[/quote] Your options are - read the bits I`ve edited - have a drink and repeat after me " many roofers are P*keys" :mrgreen: I`m allowed to say that cuz I`m a pi*ey plumber - and us plumbers use to do gutters - until the roofers took that job :mrgreen: . Chill , save your money and sell when you`re ready l[/quote]

Quite often I wish plumbers still did do the gutters. *remembers the days of fix only lead soakers and pipe slates*

I remember them days and long may they return, let the lazy arsed plumbers strip the bottom of the roof and re-lead line the gutters. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back